City of Music

Nashville Travel Blog

Road weary, but still able to enjoy the scenery in lower Tennessee.
Hello all! I am running a bit behind in my travel log, but I wanted to post a quick update.  I got into Nashville around 7 or so, and as soon as I got off the highway, I saw a White Castle.  That may not sound too interesting or exciting, but I haven't seen a WC in YEARS, so I stopped in and snagged up a few of their sliders and a huge sweet tea.  Mmmmmmm, steamed meat.

I went to Union Station and went inside (I was supposed to pick up my host at the Greyhound station, and I thought this was it) and started taking pictures.  It's a really cool place.  I walked upstairs, downstairs, outside and all around the building.  They were humping cars out in the train yard, so I went and watched that for a bit, and then hopped back into the car and drove around looking at the area around the station.
Tennessee sunset behind me.
  A little bit of graff, not too much.

My host arrived around 9:15 or so, and as we drove to his place, he showed me Music Row, where BMG, ASCAP and dozens upon dozens of record labels were located.  It was cool seeing all the small indie labels that I recognized sitting right next door to big hitters.  We cruised through the streets and finally wound up at the house.  I was pretty beat, but we stayed up and watched part of the Grammys and I caught up on things that I had missed during my trip (for instance, I had no idea that Anna Nicole Smith was dead).  I crashed around 1:30 or so and passed out until 8 in the morning.

My host took me to a nice coffee shop near Vanderbilt college in the morning and we chatted about everything from music to Libertarianism as we watched the pretty southern belles walk by.
Union Station
  Good lord, that town has some BEAUTIFUL WOMEN.  After way too much coffee, I went to check out some of the music stores and got a few small things like hot sauce, postcards, etc.  I didn't leave town until almost 2pm, but I had a great time just looking at all the Elvis and J. Cash merch that covered the town.

I pulled off in Mufreesboro/Murfreesboro/that town that locals call "Murphy's Burough" and got stuck there for close to 2 hours.  Couldn't get a gas pump that worked, traffic was horrible...  I didn't even get back on the highway until 4:30...  A word of caution to fellow travelers:  Stay away from that town.  Not a bad place, but it's easy to get stuck there for a LOOOONG time (I wonder if some of the folks who lived were people like me, who pulled over to get gas and couldn't get back out.)

Next stop, ATLANTA!!!
Road weary, but still able to enjo…
Road weary, but still able to enj…
Union Station
Sliders and cheese sticks.
Sliders and cheese sticks.
Nashville