Wilmington Travel Blog

 › entry 15 of 15 › view all entries
Cape Fear River Bridge.
Trying again, this time with Notepad as a backup...

The trip into South Carolina was fairly uneventful at first, but after an hour or so of driving, I started to notice a fine mist coming off of the cars in the westbound lanes.  Twenty minutes later I drove straight into a torrential downpour of rain.  I had to drop my speed from 75 to below 50 just to be able to see the road (and I had the wipers on the highest setting possible).  The storm continued for close to two hours before letting up slightly.  As I passed over bridges, I noticed huge clouds of steam rising from the rivers below.  It crept up into the trees and swirled around with the wind making nifty little vapor trails that were carried by the cars all around me.  I would have stopped to take some pictures, but I didn't want to get drenched or hit by a passing truck.
The best seafood I've had in years.

It got dark soon after I passed through the rainstorm, and I momentarily stopped to fill up my tank.  Since I hadn't eaten all day, I grabbed a gas station chimichanga from the grill inside the Exxon (not my smartest move, but I wasn't going to tempt fate and eat a "fresh" hamburger), and I was off again, this time on a 2-lane highway into the thick of the South Carolina forest.

After I drove for what seemed like hours (traveling quickly, going nowhere), I finally crossed over the Cape Fear River and arrived in Wilmington, North Carolina.  It took only 10 minutes to find my hosts for the evening, and moments after I knocked on their door, we were off to chow on some seafood at a great little place called Hieronymus.
The Blue Post Billiards.
  We sat down and ordered up a massive feast.  A peck of oysters, clams, a pound of peel-and-eat shrimp, crab legs with garlic butter, cheddar biscuits and a big bowl of jambalaya.  I nearly had a mouthgasm as a took in the giant platters of fresh seafood in front of me.  We dug in and washed everything down with a few tasty amber beers from a local brewery.  FUCKING AWESOME.  Every uncomfortable sofa, sore muscle and memory of redneck state troopers were instantly forgotten and I was at one with the universe.  I could have died a happy man at that moment.

I emerged from my shellfish-indeced daze a bit later, and my hosts took me off to a bar downtown called The Blue Post.  It's a small pool hall (if you can call 2 tables a pool hall) with an adjoining game room in the building next door.  Apparently the bar had bought the building, knocked down the outer wall and attached the two with a covered passageway.  After I lost a few games of pool and had a few more beers (hooray sea-level alcohol tolerance!) we headed back to the apartment.  

An acoustic guitar, a banjo, dual harmonicas, and some very vocal canines rounded out the evening and I passed out on an enormous green couch around 4am.  One hell of a day.

Tomorrow:  Da Beach!
wanderingstars says:
So what, you're just going to leave us hanging now that you're back and done? No Mardi Gras? No return trip? No beach?
Posted on: Mar 04, 2007
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
After working for nearly 2 hours on a travel update, TravBuddy decided it would be nifty to log me out of the site and completely erase everything I had written when I pressed the "Publish Entry" button.  So I'll try again later on tonight, (this time I'll type it up in notepad) because right now I am flipping off the computer screen and cursing the idiots who thought that a security feature such as that was necessary.  Hey admins and programmers!!  WTF?!?!?!

Eric says:
Hey man, sorry to hear that you got logged out of the site. I'll see if I can increase the logout time and in the meantime you might want to try using the "Save Draft" feature to save your journal entry periodically if you think you'll be working on it for a long time. Sorry again, must have been quite frustrating.
Posted on: Feb 23, 2007
Updates are forthcoming, I've just been extremely busy (Mardi Gras was INSANE) and internet connections have been kind of scarce.  I've got tons to write about, dozens of pictures to share and hundreds of stories to put online.  I'll be in Dallas/Fort Worth for a few days, and hopefully I'll be able to get my journal to a somewhat-current state by the weekend.  I just wanted to post something to let those who are tracking me know that I am still alive and well.

Cheers all!

-Scout (in Houston)
Cape Fear River Bridge.
Cape Fear River Bridge.
The best seafood Ive had in years.
The best seafood I've had in years.
The Blue Post Billiards.
The Blue Post Billiards.
My digs, complete with stripper po…
My digs, complete with stripper p…
photo by: vances