St Louis

Saint Louis Travel Blog

welcome to Missouri

We spent the rest of the day/evening driving across the rest of Kansas and into Missouri, getting to the state line around four o'clock.  We made our way across the state and into St Louis.   It had been our hope to see the St Louis Gateway Arch in daylight, but it was after 8 pm and dark by the time we got there.  I tried to take some pictures, but they were just too dark to come out.  The Arch itself didn't seem to be in the best neighborhood, and it looked kind of dented and beat up?   In any event, we never got close enough to really get a good look at it.  Oh, well!

We had another adventure in St Louis when we stopped for gas.  We had gotten off a random exit, and Dawn went inside for coffee while I pumped.

Sunset on the Missouri Highway
   I witnessed several apparent drug dealings in plain view across the street, and a scruffy homeless person came up and asked me for a quarter while I was pumping.  Dawn came out to say the restroom was out of order,  there were no stirrers for the coffee, and when she stirred it with her finger she saw it was cold...so she just left it on the counter and came back to the truck.   About this time, Tyler noticed on the floor of the truck a steak knife that we had lost a couple days earlier...he picked it up and handed it to me just as Dawn was climbing back in.  She laughed and asked if we were using it to defend ourselves from the old homeless lady!  No, but it was time to move on.  We got back on the highway and didn't stop again until we were well into Illinois!

bluesgirl1978 says:
Oh, I know that. But I hate for anyone to go away feeling they had a bad experience. St. Louis is a fun and interesting city! Plus, I may be a little biased... ;-)
WaltJake says:
Yes, I would love to see St Louis under better circumstances...I would like to go inside the Arch, and taking in a Cardinals game would be nice! I'm sure we will have a better visit if we ever pass that way again! Didn't mean to come across as if we were insulting your city!
bluesgirl1978 says:
I had to comment, since I'm from St. Louis originally. The Arch is in a good part of town, but nothing is open at night right there. And it does have a few dents, because it's almost 40 years old and made of metal!

As far as getting of at a random exit... there are a lot of places that you just don't do that and downtown St. Louis and East St. Louis (right across the river) are two of those places... especially at night!

St. Louis is an awesome city. If you get the chance, you should go visit and spend a little time!
the show me state
the "show me" state
Tyler took this picture out the ba…
Tyler took this picture out the b…