Spangles Retro-Restaurant, Topeka, Kansas

Topeka Travel Blog

Spangles Restaurant, Topeka

It was pretty warm when we got up, I let Dawn sleep in a little because she wasn't feeling well from last nights dinner nightmare.   Went to the office to pay, the nice older couple running the show said they were having a pancake breakfast in a little while....Thanks, but I don't think Dawn is quite up to food right now!  Instead, I did a couple laps in the pool, and sat in the hot tub for awhile.  Tyler and I packed up the tents and gear, and after we showered and changed, we headed back on down the road!

We continued our trek down I-70, and stopped for gas & lunch in Topeka.   Tyler, who had been snacking all morning in the back seat, decided he didn't want lunch.

Lots of 50's nostalgia on the walls
  He wanted to stay in the truck and listen to his "Metallica" CD, because Dawn wouldn't let him play it while driving (again!)   We went into a place called "Spangles", which was a cool retro-style 1950's-esq drive in restaurant.   They had a lot of old movie posters, records, comic books, photos, etc. of people like Elvis, Marilyn Monroe and Buddy Holley.  It kind of reminded me of the milk shake place in the movie "Pulp Fiction".   We had burgers with chocolate shakes...delicious!  We spent a fair amount of time looking at all the nostalgia on the walls.   This allowed Tyler to get halfway through his "Adam Sandler" CD as well!   It was a much better dining experience than the night before.

It was pretty hot in Kansas, especially since we were walking through fields with snow patches this time yesterday!  Didn't bother us much though, since we spent most of our time in the air conditioned truck.  Our goal is to see if we can make it past St Louis today!

Lots of 50s nostalgia on the walls
Lots of 50's nostalgia on the walls
Dawn feeling better today
Dawn feeling better today
reminds me of Pulp Fiction
reminds me of Pulp Fiction
Old comic books on the walls
Old comic books on the walls
I had some of those as a kid!
I had some of those as a kid!
Marilyn was there