On The Road To Colorado State Forest Campground

Colorado State Forest Campground Travel Blog

Storm following us

We had pretty much killed the whole day exploring Arches NP, and the sun was setting by the time we hit the road East. It was also darkening a bit because a thunderstorm was rolling in.   As we rolled down the highway from Moab to the Colorado state line, we watched the lightning flashes behind us as the storm moved closer.   Tyler was filming out the back window and got some good shots of lightning strikes. It only rained on us briefly, most of the storm was contained to the West, and we were moving East.  By the time we reached Colorado, the last of the setting sun was visible again.  Dawn was excited to be back in Colorado, she had been stationed here when she was in the Air Force.  She was driving, and determined to get us as close to Rocky Mountain National Park as she could.

Sunset after the storm
  We drove well into the night, stopping only for gas.  At a station somewhere near Vail, we tried to clean the dead bugs off the windshield, but the squeegee buckets were out of fluid...the lady at the counter said she was too busy to go fill them, but was nice enough to give me two bottles of washer fluid and I went and filled them all myself while Tyler washed the windows.

We were trying to find a campground in the area, but not having much luck, despite having both Woodalls Campground Directory and a KOA Directory.    There were a few RV parks around, but none that allowed tenting.    We decided to head for a campground listed in the Colorado State Forest that was on our way... the sites would be primitive, no amenities or showers, but we just needed a place to sleep at that point!  It was well after midnight when we got to the camp.

Colorado at last!
   It only had about a dozen sites, and we were fortunate to get the last one left!  There was a box out front where you could check in and pay after hours,($8) but I only had $6 on me, and twenty dollar bills.  No problem, I'm sure I can get change from the Ranger tomorrow, we'll just pay in the morning.   Tyler had already fallen asleep in the truck, he had the back seat all set up with his pillow and sleeping bag, so we just left him there.  We set up quickly in the dark and went right to sleep.

Colorado State Forest Campground