North Cascades National Park Travel Blog

North Cascades National Park

By the time we reached North Cascades National Park, It was still light out, but the visitor's center was closed. No passport stamp today! The park's  boundrys are actually north and south of the main road, but it it still a beautiful forested mountain area.   I would like to come back here some day and spend a week backpacking.  We stopped for pictures at a few overlooks and saw several more deer.  Also heard something very large tromping through the thick underbrush, but couldn't see it.  Bear? Sasquatch? They say this is Bigfoot country, you know!  Dawn wet her finger and wrote " Help us, we are crazy, cross country trip!" in the dust on the side of the truck.  We walked along a very high, steel grid bridge over a creek with a waterfall coming out of the rock.

Gotta love snow in August!
  Great views! While we were there, a small car pulled up, and out stepped a guy dressed like a backpacker, and a girl in a big poofy gown, in full makeup and high heels, to go look at the view. He looked ready for hiking, she was ready for the prom! That's not the attire I would choose to go walking on a steel grid bridge!   First, and last, date maybe?  I wish I thought to take a picture of them!

We arrived at a KOA Campground just outside the park, and were fortunate to get the last tent site. Unfortunateley, I accidentally knocked over and broke our propane lantern. The camp was nice, but crowded, with the sites very close together.  I was surprised to see so many campers in such a remote area!

North Cascades