Kansas

WaKeeney Travel Blog

WaKeeney, Kansas KOA

Once we were south of Denver, we hopped on I-70 East into Kansas.   At some point we stopped for dinner at a truck stop that featured a Ponderosa restaurant...didn't have the greatest experience there!  We were seated in the back across from a family with 2 screaming kids, crying, throwing food, etc.  Dawn and Tyler wanted meals, while I got the serve yourself buffet.   We waited forever for drinks, and I was on my second plate before the guy came back to take their order!  I was finished before they even got their food.  If all three of us had ordered meals, we would have left before they came.  All the while, we were entertained by the screaming kids across from us.  One of them was eating a bowl of Ketchup!!  The long wait put us behind schedule, and we couldn't wait to get out of there and back on the road again!

The rest of the evening was spent driving as far as we could go and putting some ground behind us.

WaKeeney, Kansas KOA
  There was a large rise in temperature once we were down from the mountains, about 25 degrees warmer! We would up at the WaKeeney, Kansas  KOA after hours,  but there were plenty of open spaces.  There was a night box here, but there were hundreds of beetles on the wall and the light over it..  uh, I'll just pay in the morning, thank you!   I don't think they'll have a problem with that,  unlike Mr. Colorado State Forest Ranger Man!  (One final word on our Ponderosa meal...Dawn had to get up in the middle of the night, to get sick behind the tent!)

WaKeeney, Kansas KOA
The flat lands of Kansas, quite di…
The flat lands of Kansas, quite d…
WaKeeney Hostels review
We stayed here at the WaKeeney / Hays KOA on the way across Kansas, en route home from our cross country trip this summer. We drove well into the nigh… read entire review
WaKeeney