Journey Across America

Meriden Travel Blog

We're on our way!

Monday, July 24th, 2006   My Birthday.  I have been thinking about this trip for the past 8 years, since I last drove cross country with my good friend Lee. At that time we just packed our camping gear in the back of his Ford Escort hatchback and hit the road. We had an idea of where we were going, but not too much thought went into it, we just "winged it", and had a great time.   I vowed that when my son Tyler was old enough to appreciate it, I would give him the same memorable trip, and then some. He's 14 now. It's time.

The original plan was for us to leave early Sunday (yesterday) morning, but Tyler had to take an entrance exam for the high school he would be attending when we returned.  His stepfather dropped him off mid afternoon, and we packed the rest of his gear into the truck.  A few months ago, I had gotten a new Honda Ridgeline pickup truck, which I must say is a perfect camping vehicle!  It has an 8 cubic ft waterproof trunk under the bed, which was the perfect place for dry items, such as clothes and sleeping bags. We packed our gear into 4 watertight snap tote storage bins from WalMart (tents and mats, kitchen stuff, food, and firewood)  Things like hatchet, rope, bug spray, etc. went in with the firewood. A big 5 day cooler went in the back of the bed, under the power window so Tyler could access sodas, etc while we were driving. We covered the storage bins in the bed with a tarp, and secured the whole thing with a cargo net. It seems like every usable space it the truck got taken up with something!  Finally, we were packed up and ready to go!  We hit the road around 3:30 pm with my girlfriend Dawn behind the wheel, and headed off to our first destination....Niagara Falls!

simsing says:
Great adventure!
Posted on: Jul 15, 2016
webdik says:
Nice Journey plan dear...Cool
Posted on: May 31, 2012
WaltJake says:
Thanks! How much of it did you actually read?
Posted on: Mar 19, 2008