Day 5 - Leaving Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

Moose Jaw Travel Blog

A beautiful sunny day awaited me on my last 675 km push toward Calgary. So I would have to say that, even though the trip around Lake Superior was quite picturesque, the nicest part of the journey so far was through Saskatchewan. The terrain is not necessarily the limitless unbroken fields of wheat that I imagined. There is always something to tease the eye with a variation on the landscape: a lone tree in a field, a herd of cattle or other livestock, a fence separating tracts of land, the occasional oil derrick pumping crude, a train begging to be outrun. Sometime, being slightly above the prairie is enough to provide a view dozens and dozens of kilometres in the distance. One of the most memorable sights was seeing a field with I would guess had about 10 000 bales of hay spread out over a very large area.
The most that would be seen in the eastern part of the country would be a small fraction of that since a field would invariably be interupted by a stand of trees, but there is no such barrier in the prairies.

Seeing this landscape reminded me of a similar type of description provided by Annie Proulx in her book That Old Ace in the Hole, her follow up book to Close Range: Wyoming Stories (from which the story Brokeback Mountain came). In That Old Ace in the Hole, she describes the a U.S. portion of landscape of the Great Plains and this is what came to mind while peeling away the kilometres on the road. Maybe a Canadian treatment of the Prairies is required on the level of what she did on the people and language of Newfoundland in the Shipping News. Perhaps I have to dig up a copy of W.O. Mitchell’s Who Has Seen the Wind and get re-acquainted with a Prairie author.

Speaking of wind, I’m not sure why the horizon is not filled with wind mills since it is very windy out in Big Sky country. I can’t imagine that this is not a regular occurrence but the wind was strong enough that I would often have to ride leaned over 10 or 15 degrees just to keep going in a straight line. I finally did see some wind mills near the Alberta border.

I arrived in Calgary as the sun was setting and had no trouble finding my destination of the abode of friends with whom I would be staying, Jay and Marta. I was there in the month of March and the city is built on a grid system, so it was a quick jaunt into the city and on to their place for the completion of this first leg of the trip!
Moose Jaw