Day 2 - Leave Blind River, Ontario

Blind River Travel Blog

Sunday September 21, 2008

It was a beautiful sunny day, albeit a bit cool, and I hit the road westward toward Sault St. Marie an hour and a half away. The highway turned into four lanes (divided) and it was the next best thing to a German Autobahn but it had a ridiculously slow 90 km/h speed limit. Needless to say, speed limits were turned into mincemeat throughout the day, especially along remote stretches of wilderness.

Sault St. Marie separates Lake Huron from Lake Superior and Canada from the state of Michigan. The St. Marys river joins the two Great Lakes and also separates the two countries. Once in Sault St. Marie, I had to head north to circle Lake Superior. Surprisingly, there were not many trees that had changed colours along the Lake Huron route, but there was a noticeable change in this new microclimate.
The original Wawa Goose
Many more trees had started changing colours. Shortly after leaving Sault St. Marie, I caught my first ever glance of Lake Superior, and a short while after that, I went over the crest of a hill and I saw a black bear scampering across the road. That was so cool! It was the first bear I had ever seen in the wild! I then stopped at an overlook of the lake and a guy on motorcycle pulled up and we chatted for a bit. He was heading back home to BC and I told him about the bear and he said he sees them every day when he goes to work. Hey, it didn’t diminish my excitement one bit! Onward through Lake Superior Provincial Park and the roads and scenery was outstanding. It kind of reminded me of Cape Breton-lite.

As the afternoon wore on it was getting cooler and I had to stop and put on the an extra layer and a big pair of rubberized mitts to block the cold and wind. They say an army marches on its stomach but a motorcyclist rides on his hands I believe. The sunny sky had turned mostly cloudy and a bit past Marathon, it started raining, so another stop for rain gear was in order. I was only about 40 km from a town called Terrace Bay (pop. 2200) that I thought I’d stay at. I arrived there and the very plain Red Dog Inn (no pets allowed wouldn’t you know) wanted $79 a night, but even though I thought my riding day was over, I figured there was enough left in my personal gas tank (and just enough of the post sunset behind-the-clouds residual light) to make it 15 km down to the road to the town of Shreiber. Rain running down into my gloves be damned! This town (pop. 1700) had several hotels and when the first one I stopped at said it was $39 a night, I jumped on it right away. Ironically, the bathroom soaps and shampoos all said Red Dog Inn on them.
Blind River