Home, sweet home

Atlanta Travel Blog

I got up about 6am and took the dogs outside ... only to find it, yep, you guess it ... RAINING.  It rained until I was about 1 hour from Chattanooga.  I don't ever want to drive 16 hours in the rain again.  Ha!

The last day of the trip was uneventful.  Tyler slept in the back the whole way, Maggie slept on the passenger seat most of the way.  I finished the "Odd Thomas" audiobook about 30 minutes into the trip, and threw in a new book:  "Life Expectancy".  Odd Thomas was great!!  I downloaded it a couple of years ago, but never listen to audio books since I rarely am in the car 2+ hours.  With my 20 minute commute to work, it takes that long to get into it and remember what was going on, then you're at work and have to turn it off.  I know I remember seeing a couple other "Odd" books at the store, I'm going to have to check out Dean Koontz's other "Odd" books - this character was great!  I didn't have as much luck getting into "Life Expectancy," but since I'm 4 hours into it, I know I will finish it - because now I want to know what happens.

I do have some trouble with audio books, some authors that I have loved every single book that they've written (like Dean Koontz), I have struggled with the voice of the narrator.  I guess I just prefer to have my own image of a voice in my head as I'm reading, based on the written development of the characters.  Over Memorial Day, my aunt and I drove down to Hilton Head and we were listening to Jeffrey Deaver's "Cold Moon" - after 5 hours of the audio book, I had to buy it so I could finish reading it!  It's been sitting by my bedside table ever since, but it's on the list of "to read" books.

It has been nice traveling quite a bit over the last couple of weeks - I've finished two regular books (Dean Koontz, "The Good Guy" - definitely two thumbs up,  John Sandford, "Invisible Prey" - another two thumbs up!) and listened to 1.5 audio books.  That is one thing that I have missed about traveling for work, travel time is my personal reading time.  Unless I have a deadline I must meet and I have to work on the plane ... I'm going to get caught up on a book or two.  Over the last 2 years, I have bought about 15 books that are all sitting on my bedside table, waiting to be read.  Why are they sitting on my bedside table .... who knows, I never read in bed.  Maybe if I see them sitting there every day, I'll remember to read them.

I was happy to be home, the dogs were happy to be home.  Happy to sleep in my own freshly-fluffed featherbed.  Plus, three days to get stuff done around the house before I have to go back to work on Monday - good times.

Shall I do the trip again?  Yea, it's not that bad ... but much better when there is someone riding with you to talk to.  So, next year, only with a riding mate :)

alyssa_ob says:
I'm not sure how I feel about those John Sanford books - they take place where I live and sometimes that creeps me out!
Posted on: Oct 08, 2008