Hi there, great to see ya ... have a great flight.

McNaughton Travel Blog

The dock

I found out on Friday afternoon that my aunt's vacation was going to be cut short and she needed to fly home on Monday (Labor Day) because her entire office staff was going on strike on Tuesday.  She was planning on being in Wisconsin until Friday, but had to leave 4 days early.  I had planned on staying at the lake all week with her, then other people were going to be coming/going all week.

Sue headed up to the lake with me on Monday morning and was going to stay until Wednesday.  My mom had to go home on Wednesday afternoon because it was their first night of bowling - so she needed to be there.  Since everyone was leaving on Wednesday, it was silly for me to stay up at the lake by myself for two more days to leave on Friday morning.

Loons!
  So I opted to leave a day early and start the drive home on Thursday instead.  Now, since I'm leaving on Thursday morning, I might as well head back to my parent's house with my parents and get a 2 hour jump on the drive home.

The two days at the lake were great.  All of the dogs got along, for better or worse.  Tyler kept barking at Ransome, he kept ignorning Tyler.  Ransome was very interested in Maggie ... she kept running away.  They were so good, no leashes for the whole two days.  They never ventured very far - and even hung pretty close while we went out for a walk on Wednesday morning!  Good Dogs!

We got in and had a chance to see Ritchie and Hilda before they headed home and played a couple of games with Bev before she had to head to the Rhinelander airport for a 5pm flight - so we got to see her for about 2 hours.

Mama and baby loon
  We found out later that her ticket was all screwed up, when she bought it at the airport in Denver on her way TO Wisconsin, they sold her a ticket for that day ... not Monday.  Thankfully, the flights were not full and she got home without too much drama.

After dropping her off at the airport, we headed down to the gas station to get a fishing license and some minnows.  That's where the drama started.  The woman working the counter couldn't figure out how to sell me a fishing license.  Fishing is pretty big up in the Northwoods, so I can't imagine she hasn't done it a time or two.  She kept bitching about the DNR and how it was so much easier back in the day when they filled out paper licenses for people.  She kept telling me that my birthdate was wrong (I'm in the system, I've gotten a fishing license every yera since I was 14.

My baby fish
)  Low and behold, she was entering my SS# incorrectly.  Ugh - 20 minutes later, and $24 for a 3 day non-resident license ...

We went fishing on Tuesday, it was warm (about 80 degrees) which was nice, luckily I did bring one pair of shorts with me, I expected it to be in the 70's so I pretty much just brought jeans and sweatshirts!  (I learned from the last time that I had to buy a $40 baby blue "Minocqua, WI" sweatshirt with a loon on it because I was FREEZING!)  Pack warm when you go to Wisconsin, southern girl.  We caught a few perch, some bluegills, a decent size rock bass.  It was windy, so hard to anchor at the "good" fishing spots, but we got to see the loons, with their baby and also the Eagle who lives next door on Clear Lake.

The eagle
  Bev actually got a GREAT shot of the Eagle over the weekend - but we only saw him from afar.

We came in from fishing and watched a couple of movies.  Went for a quick walk with the doggies and had some dinner.  We popped in a movie since it started to rain and headed to bed (I was tired!!)

Wednesday, it ended up getting COLD (good thing I packed for it!) and we headed back to Marshfield

Mom fishing