On the road again ...

Atlanta Travel Blog

Ready to get on the road (2007)

My aunt is my travel buddy, we have been on vacation several times together.  She likes to take a trip up to the family cabin in Northern Wisconsin at least once a year, and it's nice to be able to meet her up there.  I didn't really have any vacations planned for this year, I've been saving for a big trip next year.  So, this year (especially with gas prices being so high ...) has been limited to a bunch of "staycations" with the dogs and hanging out at home for the most part.  Plus, since I've gotten the dogs, I hate leaving them at the kennel ... and it's so expensive to board them for 7-10 days.

Bev was planning on hitting the cabin the week of Labor Day, so I took the week off and decided to throw the dogs in the car and make the 18 hour trek to the northwoods.

Maggie in the car
  I wasn't sure how the dogs were going to do in the car.  Jackie and I drove up last year, with two people in the car, it's not so bad.  With just one person in the car, both Maggie & Tyler both want to be in my lap.  And, not just lay in my lap ... but STAND in my lap.  They're too big to do that!  This trip might be more about the destination than the journey.  We'll see.

We set the TomTom to Vernon Hills/Chicago, IL and got ready for 12.5 hours on the road.  3 minutes into the drive, Tyler is in the back seat whining and barking.  He's normally very good in the car, it's usually Maggie that has the issues.  We're not even off our street yet - and he's making a fuss.  What's going on?  He found his squeaky ball in the bag, pulled it out and started playing with it in the car.

Tyler sleeping in the car
  It fell to the floorboards and he couldn't reach it - thus the barking.  He wanted his ball back.  Ah-ha!  Please ... do not let this go on for the next 12.5 hours!!!

Ok, we get on the highway, and both of the dogs settle in.  I have a dog bed in the backseat, Tyler jumps to the back, lays down and goes to sleep.  There is a dog bed in the front seat, Maggie won't sit on the dog bed, but she sits right in between the two seats ... watching everything.  But being VERY good - just watching.

Alright, let's see how far we can go before we need a doggy break ...

Atlanta