And the second Roman centre

Nimes Travel Blog

Outside the colosseum
Nimes is another place where my old interest in Romans was re-awakened. It has an even bigger and, in my opinion, more interesting colosseum than Arles, and again it is still being used today. We tried again to climb to the top and this time we persisted because we had sen a group of people sunbathing up there. It was a little confusing trying to find which set of stairs led where, but we finally made it up there. From there we had a really nice view of the town and surrounding hills, so we stayed for a while before moving on to have a look around town.

After a full circle we came back to the Colosseum and decided to have lunch in its shade. It was maybe a bit busier than I'd have liked, next to the road, but it did its job. Although I still regret to this day that I did not order mussles instead of a boring pasta dish. Then we went on to see the Roman temple, which is in very good condition. I'm not sure what they did with the inside (it is pretty much a mini-museum, showing some statues), because I was quite curious to know what it would have looked like in Roman times and what went on in there. But the outside was stunning, very well-preserved. Out of the the Roman highlights we saw on thir trip, I think this was maybe my favourite, with the colosseum in Nimes a close second.
Town view from top of colosseum