Brief visit to a beautiful little town

Gordes Travel Blog

Gourdes
Gordes is a relatively small place, built along a hillside on several levels. It is a beautiful town with narrow streets and paths and fantastic views over the fields below from one of the terraces a bit higher up. But it was also a place that seemed to divide opinions. We all agreed that it was a nice place but while some had been hoping for little provencal shops and cafes (and ended up being quite disappointed) I was very happy just exploring a place that I thought really looked nice and had atmosphere. If I remember correctly it also had a small cave entrance off a street, but we didn't have a look at that because we were starving and on a mission to find the right place for lunch. And somehow we didn't really go back to explore more after lunch.

So I guess how people are going to like this place depends very much on what you want from a visit to a small town in the Provence. If you're trying to have a look around crafts shops and enjoy yourself in a cafe while peoplewatching you may end up not being too impressed. There are of course shops and cafes, but they seemed unnecessarily expensive and there are very few of them. But if you're happy just having a walk around and taking in the scenery and atmosphere then you will probably really like this quaint picturesque town.
Church