And so the countdown begins

Southampton Travel Blog

It's 5 days until I leave for Africa. 5 days until I go back to the land I feel so happy in. 5 days until I reach Tanzania where I will attempt the most challenging thing I have ever experienced so far.

Today I packed. Well, most of my things anyway. Some of my things need to be laundered and dried. When you do the first pack, you always find that you're wearing most of the important items you want to include in said pack, which makes it so much more difficult because then you know you have to wait until it's clean and dry before you can complete your packing, and that's just annoying.

Nevertheless, I did most of my packing, and I will just wait patiently until the rest of my clothing is dried, ready to join the rest of my attire to fly away with me to the mystical land of Tanzania.

I've reached the point now where I'm so nervous and excited that I feel nauseous. Or was that the super value beef burgers with chips and Chinese curry sauce I ate this evening? Hmmm, it's difficult to tell. One thing I'm sure of is that it is virtually impossible to get anything done when you're working 9-5 and having to do all the normal chores too.

This weekend my fiancé and I went to Oxfordshire to do some walking in the countryside. There's a trail called 'The Ridgeway' which extends for 87 miles across the country. We did a small section of it - 12 miles. It was beautiful and warm and really nice to get away from the city. I got a little sunburnt but only enough to give me a bit of a glow.

We stayed at my fiancé's parents' house and sadly one of their cats seems to have fleas and I have been eaten alive by them. I probably have 50 or more bites. I've got my tiger balm to hand at all times though, and that seems to be doing the trick.

The walk was a good way to assess my fitness levels in anticipation for climbing Kilimanjaro. From what I can tell, it's going to be hard work, but manageable as long as we take well timed breaks. It only takes me about 30 seconds to get my breath back, so I think a 30 second break every 30 minutes should be acceptable.

I just can't wait to get to the airport now so I can be nervous with everyone else!
Southampton