It's all going so slowly

Southampton Travel Blog

Preparation is a frustrating thing when you have to wait. Especially if you are a control freak like me.

The last few things I have on order (thermal sleeping bag liner, warm gloves and hat, and water purification) should arrive this Wednesday, although if my order cannot be signed off, I will have to wait another week, leaving me with just a few days to ensure I definitely get some of the most important pieces of kit I need for this trip.
Tomorrow afternoon I have an appointment to see my doctor who will prescribe me antimalarials (Doxycycline) and Diamox (altitude sickness preventative). My GP is really good, and always seems to bend over backwards to ensure I am perfectly happy by the time I leave his office.

My worldwide SIM card should turn up tomorrow morning, so I can find out if my phone needs unlocking or not. I'm pretty sure it's unlocked, but you never know until you put another SIM in. From what I can see, the worldwide SIM is a great deal. It locks onto the strongest signal no matter where you are and gives you cheap rates to call or text anywhere in the world.

Today I purchased some anti-bacterial hand gel (a completely brilliant, and hugely important thing to take on any trip) and my solid shampoo/body wash bar. I bought it from Lush, and it smells, like the name suggests, lush! It's made of natural products including jasmine and coconut oil, so it's not only great smelling but good for the environment and your hair/body too!

Now I just have to replenish my medical kit, buy some long life batteries for my camera, figure out which energy snacks I'm going to take with me, and find a nice notebook which I can use as my journal. I love to write my experiences, and it's so great to look back at what you've done years afterwards, and reminisce.

The group that I will be escorting during my time in Tanzania seem really nice and friendly from the email correspondence I have had with them. It's a female-dominated bunch (one guy to eight girls!), which should be interesting. I just hope that everyone gets along, because it will make things run so much smoother. I'm sure this will be no problem. From what I understand, I am the only one who has been to East Africa, so I'm sure they will feel comforted in the knowledge that they're all in the same boat and we will all become a great unit, supporting each other.

12 days to go before departure.
homeres says:
Stay cool, this should be an awesome adventure : )
Posted on: Sep 22, 2008