Preparation time

Southampton Travel Blog

Having found out that I was going to Tanzania, I had just three weeks to organise everything. For a highly organised person, this was a challenge but quite enjoyable.

The first thing I had to organise was my visa. The Tanzania Embassy is based in London and only opens on Monday to Friday, when I'm at work, so the only other option was postal application, but that was going to take 10 working days, which was exactly what I had before departure. I decided it was not worth the risk, and that I would just have to wait until I landed in Tanzania and hope that they would let me in!

My next challenge was equipment. Now, this trip is part of work, so not only is it a free trip, but I still get my salary while I am away. An ideal situation but I did have to buy every piece of equipment I would need, including a sleeping bag with a comfort range of -10, a ski jacket, what seems like a thousand base layers, walking boots and much more. Fortunately I had already bought lots of bits and pieces for my trip to India in June 2008, and was completely up to date with vaccinations.

So, so far I have bought:

One ski jacket,
One pair of walking boots
One sleeping bag
One base layer
Two thin long sleeved tops
One head torch
7 pairs of socks (plus two 'specialist' hiking pairs)
Cargo pants

Things I already had, and will need:

50 litre rucksack
25 litre day pack
Mosquito repellent
Sun cream
Dry bag
Waterproof jacket
Buff hat
Medical kit (including sterile needles)
2 litre Platypus Hoser

Things still to buy

Hand sanitizer
Worldwide SIM card
Multi-purpose travel soap

I think that's it really, although I'm sure I'll think of more. Fortunately for me, I have saved myself at least 25% on all the items I have bought. I also work some weekends at Nomad Travel and Outdoor, which do clothes and kit for all kinds of travel. I get a 25% staff discount. Also, my fiancé used to work at Blacks, and so he (and I) can still get a 30% discount from there. It really is good to have a link with companies like that.

photo by: monkeymia79