Just found out I'm going to Africa

Southampton Travel Blog

I started working for the Different Travel Company in August 2008. They organise charity challenges and volunteer holidays all over the world. I had been looking for a job for a few weeks and was on the verge of desperation when I came across an advertisement in the wonderful Wanderlust magazine, advertising the company, which is only a 15 minute walk from my apartment.
I applied immediately, and was invited for an interview the next day. I was offered the job the day after my interview.

Upon starting, I was so pleased I had looked in that magazine. The job was perfect for me, and not only that, there was a little perk - the chance to escort some of the groups during their trips.

I instantly expressed my interest, and said that I would be more than willing to help out, especially with any of the African tours.

Then last month, the deadline for payments came up for the Kilimanjaro Challenge - involving 4 days volunteering at a school in Moshi, helping to paint, repair and refurbish, and  interacting with the local children; climbing Mount Kilimanjaro; and then a 3 day safari. It was time to decide who was to going to escort it. I instantly pointed out my interest, expressing my love for Africa and my (limited) knowledge of Kiswahili.

To cut a long story short, the MD wasn't too keen on me going, because I had no experience in tour leading, and it was a big responsibility. She didn't say this, but I knew she was actively looking for someone else to do it - I can completely understand why she did this.

Anyway, 3 weeks before departure came around and there was still no-one confirmed so the MD came to me and said 'do you seriously want to do this'. I said, 'absolutely' and that was that.

I was going to Tanzania.