My small lil' island

Koh Tao Travel Blog

After a couple of days in Bangkok which was fun I am taking the night bus to my first asian island. Stopping in the middle of the night at a restaurant and transfering busses was a bit confusing to say the least. After some good food and about an hour wait we're back on the road. Arriving around 6 am by the boat dock there's another hour wait before we can take of.With the sun in the back and the wind blowing softly I can see the island from a distance, coming closer I can see the huts build on the rocks over the ocean and covered with palm trees. This is getting excited. Walking onto the island we are getting approached locals when are extremely welcoming without trying to sell to much.

My cabin is about 10 minutes away and right on the beach and with a gorgeous woman behind the desk checking me in as I am checking her out, I know I am going to like this place. Just a block away there is a scooter rental which I waste no time in getting one for the days i'll be spending here. In the evening this quite little stay has a open bar right on the water and the grill is filled with fish and meats. Side dishes look tasty and I'm ready for a feast. My next few days are filled by goofing of at the beach, taking to scooter and staking out this tiny little island which has nice scenic views, Meeting locals and trying to become locals as the Australian woman I met doing handwash laundry on the porch of her tree hut. She came down here for diving lessons (which is very cheap here) a few years ago and decided to lay her career as a school teacher to rest and plant some new roots on the island.
It would agree with her that the peace of mind and lifestyle here is much more rewarding than earning a paycheck back home. At night there are a few bars open where locals and tourist are ready for a good time. Everything here is hold to a minimum, shopping, restaurants, things to do and tourist.

That's why this place is so great. The peace and quite is unmatched, yet the few bars and restaurants have enought food and entertainment to fill up the hours you need to socialize. This is how travel should be and by getting to know my hostess at the place i'm staying at i'll get to eat food that my eyes need some adjusting on. This place is great and only a boat trip away from my next stop Ko Tao. So glad I stopped here first. My first lil' island was a success :)

Koh Tao