Old friends -and new ones

Melbourne Travel Blog

Brunswick St
Having arrived back in Melbourne on Friday evening, Andrea said we were heading out to meet her man at "The George Hote" where there was a crazy local band playing in the basement bar.  Firstly though I got to meet her daughter Hannah, whom I hadn't met previously because she'd been staying with her father.

Hannah and I hit it off in the hour or so that we had before we had to head out for the evening.

The George was a real old styled public bar.  Long and thin.  Smelt of spilled beer.  Dimly lit once the sun went down.  Noisy, and that wasn't just the band.
  They were pretty funny.  They played their own tunes which were rude as hell and too topical for me to get the political humour that many of them were written about.
City Hall
  When they started getting too disgusting Andrea decided it was time to cut out for dinner.  Hannah being just 13 years old might have been poorly influenced by this place and it's house band.  I think she was one of only 3 females in the place, her mother being another, so as I said, it was very Australian Public Bar!!

We crossed the road and found a table at a steak restaurant.
  I sat on one side of Hannah and Andrea's man, Martin sat on the other.  We hadn't met each other more than in passing but we got on quite well.  We both teased Hannah throughout dinner and of course she loved the attention.
  It was a good night and once dinner was over We shot off back to Andrea's leaving Martin to head off to another pub.

Next day we went into St Kilda and met a friend of Andrea's who was the Melbourne Ambassadore for Couchsurfing.
Brunswick St

I'd got her into the whole couchsurfing thing and she'd met some great people because of her involvement.  We had brunch with Alisdaire and 3-4 others then wandered about the suburb.

That night I took Andrea out to dinner with my other two Melbourne friends, Al and Milli.  We went to Joe's Greek Tavern which was a popular spot and was fair pumping!

I'd dossed with Al and Milli just before I flew to Tassie.  They were expecting a baby in a couple of months and I didn't want to hang with them too long before they had to get serious about the nesting they needed to do before the arrival of their first child.
  We had a great time together, even though we didn't get to record any of my poetry to music which was of course one of the main reasons I had gone to Melbourne in the first place.

Oh well, an excellent excuse to return again right?  well, that and to meet Al and Milli's little girl.  Nice!!

The last couple of days I circled between the city sights, cafes, music stores, Andrea's work and her home.

I flew home again on the Monday evening.  Much had happened in a very short space of time but it was all good.
Perseverance Hotel