Family circle : Ma, Margaret, and dodgy maps.

Launceston Travel Blog

Twilight drive

Ma was spending a couple of months with her sister Margaret in Bunbury and they were doing a trip to Tasmania when I was in Melbourne so I thought I'd swing down and catch up with them.

I flew out of Melbourne in the evening after an easy afternoon negotiating the transport system to get me out to the Airport.
Melbourne has an excellent transport system around the city but they're a few years away from running the trains out this far.  What that means is a pricey one way ticket (about AU$25 from memory) on the contracted Skybus which has regular runs out of the city every 15 minutes.

One of the strangest things, for me, about Tasmania, is how much like New Zealand it is.
Morning fog
   The rolling farmlands are much like my home region of the Wakato.  Even more odd was that the flora is the same.
  Tassie is full of plants that we see around NZ, even our beloved Ponga Tree!

The Silver Fern (underside of one type of Ponga frond) is the emblem of our beloved All Blacks, how the hell can a NZ native plant be growing happily in Australia??!
  That's just WRONG!!!!

The girls had been in Tasmania for a week when I was to fly in so we opted for Launceston as the point of rendezvous.

They had been here a night already and had secured a nice portacom type hut with two bedrooms, a bathroom and lounge/kitchen which suited our needs perfectly.

When they collected me from the airport they were full of tales about the poor mapping of the Tassie roads.  I thought, "Oh yeah ladies, just your female map reading abilities", but after our three day tour I must agree that things are NOT as they seem to be on paper!
  Even my 11 years of Boy Scouting didn't help me as navigator and I missed roads 2 or 3 times.
If you're doing a road trip of Tasmania keep your wits about you.  The place is an island so you can't go too far wrong, but don't trust the maps no matter how good they look.
There is also some serious road construction going on all over Tassie so that's bound to add to any frustration when you're trying to work out how to negotiate an intersection.

... but I reckon it just adds to the pleasure of discovering a place!

Foggy morning at the campground