Art and Culture

Melbourne Travel Blog

A taste of Melbourne's topical artworks
It's funny that I now hear through the NZ media that the politicians of Melbourne are seriously debating the "value" of the graffiti covering the city.  It was one of the most obvious things I recall about the place and it seemed to cover every surface available.  Some of it was "artistic" but the greater percentage was just an eyesore.  The cop in me wanted to track down the culprits that had turned this city ugly.

Now I hear there are arguments to protect the graffiti as especially artistic and adding to the culture of Melbourne.  For me there was only one that sparked my imagination so much that I wished to capture it myself.  I don't know whether it was the colour or the mix of female form and many arms of an Indian goddess.
Melbourne Harbour
  Not that it matters except that I love it!

I've come to Melbourne at the insistence of my very good friend Andrea.  We have known each other since high school but growing up and life had separated us since back then.  It was only in October last year that we were reunited and as a result Andrea visited me in NZ.  She's been pressing me to return the favour and swing by hers.  A pressure I'd been successfully withstanding.

However, at Christmas another good school friend returned to Tokoroa with his new wife.  Over a couple of beers we discussed the possibility of putting my poetry to his computer generated sounds and music.

Before Alistair left Tok a few years back, we'd been stalwarts of the Tokoroa theatre scene.  This seemed like a pretty exciting project.  It was enough to get me heading west across the Tasman Sea.
A taste of Melbournes topical art…
A taste of Melbourne's topical ar…
Yarra River scene