Everyone's in the South! Didn't you get the memo?

Hilton Head Island Travel Blog

Last breakfast with Andi and Marc =)
Ah I love it!! I'm settling in at the resort late my last day and who calls but Sheila?! She's got Ragnar in the car and we chat away for about 30 minutes! They managed to meet up for a bit in Atlanta - 5 solid hours of driving away from where I am. AND have I mentioned yet that there's been an issue getting GAS out here in the South? We've come across a few gas stations who have RUN OUT OF GAS. w t FUCK?!?! Scary. I can't believe how the world has changed since I've been here. The markets righted themselves but at the expense of the continued devaluing currency...

Well, I've just missed them by a few days but it couldn't be helped as my reason for coming here was to see a different set of people. But if I could have stayed 2 extra days it would have been most excellent and I would have had the opportunity to see 4 TBs instead of 2! Actually this trip has been surprisingly central to a lot of people.
Charleston
I came to see Andi and Marc, my Habitat roommate Mary lives in Charlotte and we were supposed to get together for a couple of hours before I left for my flight, Will lives not too far away (when he's not traveling - grr!), and Sheila and Ragnar were in Atlanta! There are also a couple other TBs in Charleston that are super sweet and that I'd like to meet in person one day! If we were all free as birds without responsibilities, this would have made for one of the COOLEST MEETUPS EVER with 6 of my favorite people EVER! Looks like I'll have to come back this way to round out seeing Will and Mary for sure as bugging Andi and Marc again =) Oh, and to eat some fried chicken =)

Our last day was so interesting.
The Cistern again
It was the perfect end to a really sweet trip to the Southeast. Marc and Andi have this wonderful habit of listening to NPR on the radio while driving. As our drive back to Charlotte from Hilton Head took 5 hours due to a GPS kerfuffle, we had a LOT of politics to listen to, and arguments, and fun fun debates. I don't consider myself very political, but I guess the fact that I've taken some political science classes recently (and everyone knows most academic institutions teach a liberal view of politics and economic theory) and then come back to work and chat with one of my bosses who is extremely conservative about the things I've learned. I'm really blessed to have all these influences in my life and have the privilege to figure out what my own belief system is, in my own time.
Park

Felt really bad - Andi and Marc are HUGE Obama fans and guess who was in Charlotte (Andi's home town over the weekend??) THAT'S RIGHT - OBAMA. Aaahhh I'm so sorry!! It was kind of funny. Watching Wall St and its banks just tank, I felt really out of the loop not being in LA. But there is no doubt that where I was at the moment, whether influenced by the company.. I felt like I was in the political thicke of things. There is no doubt in my mind that this is precisely what people talk about when they talk about "America" and it was an incredible experience stepping foot into it. I hope this is the first of many trips for me to the South, not only to visit and sightsee, but just to feel at one with my own country. =)

I love you Andi - thank you so much for sacrificing your weekend, missing out on Obama and being the most congenial hostess I've ever met. You are a gem, my Southern Belle, and such a delight to discuss politics and gossip about boys with! =) It is always so incredibly fabulous being around you!! I love you with all my heart!! It is hard to describe how wonderful it is to travel far and be in an unknown city and get to see a familiar face attached to someone you adore!! =) What a wonderful time I had!
AndiPerullo says:
PS It was NOT a sacrifice. I had the best time ever!!!
Posted on: Oct 02, 2008
AndiPerullo says:
Sweetheart, this is SUCH a beautiful and amazing blog. I can't put into words how touching it was. It was sooo my pleasure to be your guide. I enjoyed every minute of it and count the seconds until our next trip. Thank you for your kind words. I'm not sure I deserve them. Lots of love from Marc and I both!!!
Posted on: Oct 02, 2008
goldfishflosser says:
congrats on being featured!!! :-) i spent most of my time in atlanta looking at coefficient alphas, (un)normal distributions and other statistical delicatesses. hahaha! joy is right, definately time for some more furry boots! ;-)
Posted on: Sep 28, 2008
Last breakfast with Andi and Marc …
Last breakfast with Andi and Marc…
Park
Driving through the South =)
Driving through the South =)
Hilton Head Island