Hilton Head dreams

Hilton Head Island Travel Blog

Chillin' @ the beach!
I couldn't believe it! I have to admit, I spent a lot of my childhood in blissful ignorance about most parts of the US. I'd never been east of Las Vegas or west of Boston, and I didn't even like Boston!! If you asked me a few years ago one part of America that I had no desire to see, it would be the South. I wouldn't know what to do with myself there, and being an immigrant myself, racism in any minutae really angers me. In large cities, classism prevails in addition to racism, as everyone is sort of given a chance to make better of themselves, but at least this way you're not judged at first glance. I didn't feel this idea ever carried into the confederate states despite having 3 generations to change this.

But then Travbuddy happened, and I explored the world for about five years and met more and more people from this area.
Andi & Marc
And then a handful of people I really respect and admire returned here and I had the opportunity to visit them. All of a sudden I found myself so excited to see the part of the country that was basically foreign to me but was home to such amazing people and rife with historical context!!

Andi (AndiPerullo) had recently relocated back home from NY to set up her acupuncture practice and I haven't seen her since her stop from Australia back to NY as she decided to spend the layover in LA with me!!! =) Mary who I met on my Habitat for Humanity build in Portugal lived probably minutes away from Andi. Andi's boyfriend was here for a few months from Australia, and would you believe it - Ragnar (Goldfishflosser) and Sheila (Sheila_0808) happened to be a few hours away in Atlanta starting Saturday and Sheila said she would try to hit Savannah although highly unlikely as Ragnar is there for work.
Very happy to see everyone, I couldn't fall asleep on the plane! But I forgot my laptop cord so I was essentially internet-less the entire time!! I have stolen Andi's bf's laptop for the night to upload some pics and blog a little =)

Andi was kind enough to pick me up from the airport at 6am!! After chatting for about 2 hours, I fell asleep sprawled out in the backseat. I couldn't help it I was so tired!! We arrived in Hilton Head just before noon and couldn't check in quite yet, but they gave us some beach towels and we headed to the beach which was on the edge of the property. They had gorgeous cabanas for rent for $65 a day as well as beach chairs and umbrellas for rent. We didn't realize we had to pay for those two and just took the pair on the end and nobody came to charge us - oh well! =)

Andi and I sat at the beach catching up while Marc took a walk down the beach.
Pier near the restaurant
It was so great catching up with her in person although we email back and forth a lot. She's one of my closest, most precious friends and after this weekend, I have to call her my "belle" because she embodies all that is good and kind and considerate, but that Southern charm really radiates within her!

Beaches in the southeast were really nice. Sea oats were growing about 2 meters away on the shore and the water was green. The waves looked like.. well the closest approximation I can come up with is a layered petticoat - lots of ruffles heading in all sorts of directions, but very soft and flowing with some nice curls. The property was also very nice - there were almost a dozen BBQs outdoors, a few pools and plenty of swingy benches for 2-3 people to sit on! I love swinging things!

Marc and I went to get some food while Andi guarded our free beach chairs! The vibe was very relaxed and the water was so pretty you could watch it for ages.
A real oyster bar!
But the bugs! Ooh dear so there are these awful little black bugs with red tails in the southeast called "lovebugs" not sure what they really are, but they get stuck tail-to-tail and fly around like that - icky! Not lovely at all, really! Yucky bugs! They're everywhere but at least they don't bother people too much. Marc and I did a quick scan of the guests and decided we didn't really jive too well with Hilton Head. At least where we were, the people were old, very very obese and sunworshippers so everyone's skin was an awful red since all the guests were white Americans or white Europeans. There seemed to be a very defined class difference - there were those that worked/served and there were those that got served. Marc pointed out one particularly obese man and said "what kind of job could he possibly have?! I wouldn't buy anything from him!!" I have yet to wrap my mind around the omnipresent obesity - perhaps it's genetic here??

We finally got to check in around 1pm and our villa is really nice! 2 bedrooms, huge living room, a nice kitchen and large jacuzzi-tubs in both bathrooms! Too bad we would end up spending almost no time in the villa! But it was a wonderful place to come back to.
The pier!
Even the porch was large enough for four to hang out comfortably.

We got a recommendation from the sweetest front desk attendant at the resort who found us a nice place with a view and good food. We headed to dinner in Andi's Prius with a special guest that night to Charlie's Crab something-or-other which had a wonderful view of a pier and sound. We got there just after sunset so it was still light out but cooler. The humidity was high but not at an uncomfortable level. I didn't really bring nice dresses on this trip but Andi looked so beautiful in a blue dress that really brought out her eyes. We ordered lots of nice seafood and I tried shrimp, okra and grits for the first time! It was really good! =) We each took walks along the pier and generally just had a wonderful and romantic dinner on the water, without bugs! =) I haven't been this happy, settled and enchanted with the company in quite some time.
Andi and Marc!
Rather wished the night would not end, but alas.. !

GSTAgnt says:
Great trip report! Sounds like you had a great time. Also, I found some excellent tips for visiting Hilton Head in this article:

You should check it out in case you want to go back!
Posted on: Oct 27, 2008
goldfishflosser says:
deep, rhythmic, flowing, metaphorical - your writing is so impressive. these little love bugs seem to be naughty fellas. i'm sure what they are doing ain't legal...
Posted on: Sep 28, 2008
vances says:
There is no word "internet-less". I think the word you were searching for was inter-not... :^)
Posted on: Sep 21, 2008