Day 5

Rockerville Travel Blog

Rockerville Main Street

Had an exhausting day.  Been riding about 700 miles a day to get here, and been riding 500 miles a day around here.  Today I went to Rockerville, a ghost town that was inadvertantly made when a highway was cut around the town.  Nobody stopped by any more and today only 2 homes are left.  I'm told 12 people still live in the town.

I went to Mount Rushmore.  I firmly believe that every American has the obligation to see it.  Magnificent.  I went to see the Crazy Horse Memorial.  Finally, a monument dedicated to the Spirit of the Native American.  I was fortunate enough to see some demolition.  I would have loved to have gotten closer to it though.  It's almost unfortunate that the people who own it don't get federal assistance to get it done.  At this rate my Grandchildren will be middle aged by the time it's complete.

Custer State Park was AMAZING.  The Needles Highway was cool.  I saw deer, prairie dogs, a bear, but no Bison!  I couldn't believe it.

ejames01 says:
I got the chance to see what you saw back in April 08. I fell in love with the black hills. That whole area is so beautiful.
The Crazyhorse Memorial, they were offered money to help finish it but the family declined it because they felt that the goverment would not complete the way they wanted it.
Enjoyed your blog!!! Happy Travels, Ed