2nd Day

Rockford Travel Blog

The guy and his girl.
This was a pounding, back breaking day where I literally rode to about 2100hrs, only stopping to refuel.  Chicago was a pain to navigate through.  If it wasn't for my TomTom I would have been lost with all the lane changing I had to do.  I was fine prior to engaging the city.  the excessive tolls didn't bother me so much- BUT going through Chicago was a mess.  On the way back I will find an alternative route to keep me well clear of the city limits.  It also added unnecessary time to my trip.  Other fubar I encountered was my overnight lodging.  First off, my GPS could not locate the place, and when I finally got there I passed through what I suspected was a ghetto.  My suspicions were confirmed when I pulled up and found all sorts of people walking in and around the motel.  The rear section of the motel had long term residents, many of whom were walking around doing nothing.  There were dogs, cats and children running around everywhere.  Within seconds of getting off my bike across from my room- a young man calls out to me if he could take a picture by my bike.  The young lady on his arm asked him if he had a camera... and he indicated to her- mine... the one I had just used to document my presence there with.  After snapping a picture of them- I agreed to email them the photo and quickly removed my luggage while the male insisted that it was okay with him that I give his girlfriend a ride, since she had been "talking for a minute" about riding on a bike.  I quickly excused myself after telling him I had just rode 700+ miles and wasn't interested in riding anyone anywhere.  A few hours later I went back out to the bike to remove my tool pouch and discovered the male was standing within sight of the bike- again insisting that I should take her for a ride.  This time a larger group approached me- curious of why I had NY plates and what was my business, if any, there.  Politely told them I was passing through, returned to my room and had a sleepless night constantly checking my bike until my departure at 0600hrs.
Rockford