A Slice Of Mediterranean

Kemer Beach Travel Blog

Backdrop in Kemer

I had planned on visiting the ruins of Olympos and nearby Chimera, a burning rock in the mountains near Çıralı, but halfway there up the mountains the skies opened up and it began pouring rain. Even though I did not bring my raincoat, it would have done me little good. I settled for getting off the bus at the Olympos bus stop and doubling back. I had the phone number of someone in the seaside resort town of Kemer, so I called to see if he wanted to meet up. Luckily he was available so we planned to meet up in the town.

By the time I got to Kemer, the rain had stopped there and Akif was waiting for me by the roadside where the bus dropped me off.

The Mediterranean coast in Kemer
We went back to his house where his wife cooked me a nice lunch and they let me use their shower, which was the first modern one I'd seen since Bursa. Akif was a jeweler by summer and had the winter off, but had previously taught English and Russian in, of all places, Karaganda, Kazakhstan! He spoke six languages: Turkish, English, Russian, Kazakh, German and Uzbek, and probably knew others as well. He also liked to travel. After lunch he took me around the city, showing me all the shops and resort hotels along the way. We went through the market and he bought me fresh mandarin oranges.

There were two beaches in town, one rocky and the other sandy. We visited both, but I dipped my hands into the Mediterranean at the rocky beach and gathered a few stones to carry back. On the other side of a promontory was the quiet sandy beach. A few tourists strolled around but mostly the place was deserted. Akif and I walked up the promontory and saw the sweeping views of the beaches and the mountains in the background. It was easy to see why this town was such a popular resort. On our way back, Akif bought me a sticky sweet fried honey ring and then we had some tea before checking Internet. I caught a bus back to the city and there met up with Mehmet, his friend Cenk and two new couchsurfers. It was a quiet evening, but that was fine with me. I had had a good time in Kemer and Antalya and felt satisfied to move on to the next destination the next morning.

Hadrians Gate, Antalya