The Metamorphosis

Riga Travel Blog

It's been awhile since I have looked in the mirror to see bloodshot eyes staring back at me. I normally have the ability to catch some sleep on airplanes, but the 6-hour flight from Dulles Airport to Dublin didn't produce much rest, and it didn't help that I was faced with a 5-hour layover until the next flight. I'm now in Riga awaiting my next and final leg of the trip to Tashkent. It has been a surreal journey the past week, and as frenetic as it sometimes was I somehow maintained more of a sense of calm that I'd ever mustered before. Of course I've already realized things I should probably have brought with me, like a daypack that isn't coming apart at the seams, but so far so good. Let's just say the bloodshot eyes are part of the process.

For me right now, time is suspended between yesterday and tomorrow when I'm scheduled to arrive at my final destination. How can one measure time when breakfast follows dinner by less than three hours? While this can also happen domestically, I never stopped to notice the feeling of transition that comes with a longer term travel adventure, though I've done it before. I'm morphing from one persona to another and adopting the carefree attitude so necessary for these kinds of adventures. Airplanes and airports have become my collective cocoon, each stop a stage in my development of letting go. Everything that happened up until the plane left Washington now feel as distant as they truly are, yet at the same time are with me in the form of an essence. Foreign sights and sounds take on new meaning and deeper resonance. The magnitude of what I'm doing is etching itself into my brain, thus far unfinished. When all my senses are assaulted tomorrow morning I will be forced to complete my transition and venture towards the next adventure.

aswold says:
Good luck John.
Posted on: Oct 05, 2008
adastra23 says:
Good luck John! I am happy to see that you're on your way.
Posted on: Oct 04, 2008