Home Again!

Rockville Travel Blog

Coming back was surreal and at first a little unwelcoming, much like the turbulence I experienced for significant intervals on the plane. After the passport re-entry stamp and picking up my baggage, I was directed to a screening room for an additional security check. I surmised that this was less random than due to the fact I had visited countries ending in "stan" on my journey. After about 45 minutes I was only asked one question that I found amusing, "did you meet anyone that would be of interest to the US government?" I reassured the agent that I had not and in fact everyone I had met was particularly friendly. After my release I opened the doors to the main terminal of Dulles International Airport and the same familiar face of the person who had dropped me off three and a half months before. Smiling, he said "you're home!" Then we headed back to Rockville and into another chapter of my reality.

It was just as cold in Rockville as it was in Ankara. Entering the house was even more surreal. It's funny how time plays tricks on your mind. There was an obvious feeling that I had been away for awhile, yet it was almost as if I had never left. Memories fought in my head for the chance to be retold. Oddly enough I was not tired and ended up staying up late talking about all sorts of things, but mainly the trip I'd just returned from. Suddenly I realized my luggage had an overpowering stench of stale smoke, but I didn't quite have the energy to unpack it all then. There would be plenty of time the next day when my transition would continue.

In the morning I woke up before 9am, much to my surprise. Other than moving the stinky laundry, my jackets and backpack to the laundry room in the basement, I took it easy the whole day. I focused most of my thoughts on reflection, transition and finally, closure. But I must think of this less as an end than another beginning to the next. I am thankful for my family, friends, all the people I met along the way and to everyone who read any portion of this blog. It has definitely been a whimsical, intoxicating and sometimes eccentric journey. In other words, "pixilated peregrinations."

aswold says:
The end of a great journey. Now what am I supposed to read!
Posted on: Jan 21, 2009
adastra23 says:
Good for you for taking this huge trip! Most of my best memories involve travel and the people I encounter or travel with. Welcome back, and maybe Barack has a job for you!
Posted on: Jan 15, 2009