AfricaEgyptCairo

Where am I?

Cairo Travel Blog

I was so happy. So so happy. It was warm, and they had a bus ready for us. We all managed to stay awake for the ride into town. We made it to Zamalyek, the Caireen neighborhood that is the island in the middle of the nile. I love Zamalyek, it's full of trees, bookstores, coffee shops, and interesting people. I asked my Egyptian group leader, Yehya, what our accomidations would be like. he assured me they would be very nice. i don't mean to sound ungrateful, but it was the most disgusting place i have ever stayed. The new president hotel. Egypt hasn't had a new president for 28 years, i bet they haven't changed the sheets since. In order to flush a toilet there you have to push in a palm sized button on the wall, when my roomate went to push it, the button snapped. our next door neighbors room didn't have a key. I didn't take any pictures, and that is my biggest regret. we all sat in the "lobby" and watched the finals of the world cup, which to my great displeasure, france did not win. we ate dinner in the "restraunt", which was just an open space, where we were served "hamburgers" that were actually pigeon. at four in the morning a bunch of men started yelling in the street. what a day/night/series of hours.
portia says:
hmm, that's something, pigeons!
Posted on: May 13, 2007
Maureenie says:
I love that you're writing about all of this. Better late than never.
Posted on: Feb 05, 2007
cygnus16 says:
Pigeon burgers........now that's something different. lol
Posted on: Feb 04, 2007