Alexandria is fabulous: Biblioteca, the Jungle, the mall?, and 50 Cent's international appeal

Alexandria Travel Blog

Typical egyptian landscape
    We took a coach up to Alexandria. The drive was really interesting. Despite times when it would be desert for miles and miles, there were small villages and interesting plants as well. It's so different when driving through suburbia (at least in Santa Cruz), because I feel that here people shut their doors and kids don't play in the front yard. Villagers in Egypt are always outside. Working outside, playing outside, or simply sitting on their stoop. We passed by many fruit stands on the side of the dusty highway, that would be dozens of miles from anything else. From the fruit stand there would usually be a hill with a hut on it. If it would close we would see children and women in these small huts, enjoying the shade. Sometimes I felt so separated from them, listening to my iPod in an airconditioned bus.
Fisherman in the nile delta

As we drew nearer to our destination, the vegitation changed. Instead of dried shrubs, we saw lush green marshes. We were in the Nile Delta. The Nile, which is quite gross and unsafe was full of fishermen. It was really incredible to see so much of the countryside.
    While on the bus, we ate boxed lunches from Cairo. Often times we didn't want some of the food that they gave us, so we would dispose of it on the bus. Days, or sometimes hours later our bus driver would try to sell these items back to us, at sometimes double they cost they were originally. I didn't mind buying back a bottle of water for 25 cents.
    Once we arrived in the city we did the most important thing: the biblioteca! it's a gorgeous, large, innovative building.
Entrace to Alex.
there were quite a few people there, but it was quiet and clean, it was quite the oasis to me. We took a tour, and looked at some art collections that I most certainly reccomend. The biblioteca was so neat...
    We went to some sort of American Cultural Embassyish thing in a beautiful part of Alexandria (it was very green, lush, and the buildings were all white and beautiful) and gave our presentations about America to Egyptian youth. The seemed somewhat disinterested...maybe it was because American values aren't interesting or maybe it was because some of the were like six years old and hardly spoke any English. Either way, they loved our iPods and they wanted to talk about 50 Cent. I had the same experience with French people. What is the international appeal of 50 Cent?
    Anyway, we headed to the Jungle for dinner/lunch/ an Egyptian meal.
Inside the biblioteca
It was pretty nice, there was a river running through the place, and loads of trees. It was all really fantastic, but then the foot was not very good. It was okay, because I had another Om Ali (egyptian rice pudding!) and then we all laughed for about an hour. Everyone I travelled with was incredible. I love people who love to travel!
    We stayed at a nice hotel, and decided that for the evening we wanted to walk along the beach and head to this HUGE mall. it was a little farther than we thought... and, to our great suprise, it was incredibly expensive! Most things in Egypt were very cheap, but this was all, from what we could tell, imported from Europe and thus ridiculously expensive. To all women who want to go to Alex: watch out for the men. I actually found them to be worse than men in Cairo!
    After a disappointing trip to the mall many of got together and watched a ridiculous movie about sharks. it was from the early 80s, completely awful, but a wonderful chance to relax before another big day.

La plage