Cape Town in South Africa

Cape Town Travel Blog

Visiting Cape Town was a fantastic experience with memories that will live with me forever. I met 13 fellow Travel Agents and was lucky enough to be treated to a tour of the Western Cape including Cape Town itself. The only downside was the weather. Cape Town in June was quite wet and not particularly warm, although there were a couple of glorious days.
I started my trip in Cape Town at the Mandela Rhodes hotel in the city centre. We visited Table Mountain via the cable car and enjoyed the fantastic panoramic views of the city and harbour. I'm scared of heights usually, but to find myself on top of one of the worlds most famous peaks was a real pleasure. I enjoyed the local cuisine in a few of the restaurants in Cape Town.

From Cape Town I visited the wine lands at Constancia and Stellenbosch. South African wine is excellent with really good whites and some favourable reds on offer. The winelands are vast and you are spoilt for choice. It was fantastic to sample the wines and learn the process and which foods best compliment each bottle. After the winelands I visited Spier near Stellenbosch, where I was fortunate enough to enjoy the Cheetah experience. We could get up close and personal with the Cheetahs. They were being kept in captivity to protect them from other wild animals and the farmers who will kill them to protect their livestock.

Also at Spier they have Moya. This is just not a restaurant, it is an experience. With African dancing, live music and different aspects of African culture, including fabulous food and wine.
After Spier, we headed south to a place near Hermanus called Grootbos. This place is like a giant eden project, 1000's of varieties of plants and flowers, and top class eco accommodation all with superb views of the Ocean. Whilst staying at Grootbos, I was fortunate enough to experience seeing Humpback whales, penguins, a seal colony and a great white shark. All up close, all in their natural habitat. This day was one of my best days in my life. Something I will never forget.
I loved South Africa, and the Western Cape. I will definitely go back, and visit the Garden Route and hopefully do a game drive at Shamwari.

Contact Marc on 0845 058 7197 for up to date prices on flights and accommodation