YAY!!! BLOW HOLE AT LAST AND SWIMMING AT KAPALUA BAY

Kapalua Travel Blog

MY FAVE PIC :)

DRIVING IN MAUI IS AN ADVENTURE ON ITSELF.

WOO HOO FINALLY!!! After 5 miles we arrived. GPS would not be able to find the blow hole. We don’t need GPS, we got our trusty map of Maui. However our own GPS "H H" was broken HAHAHAHA. We parked and trekked the down the hill thru the lava rocks and of course we took photos of us on the way down. It was such a beautiful day in paradise. We saw a few people already playing near the blow hole. There was plenty of water spurts on the way down already. We took turns taking photos of us with the blow hole spitting out water. We took many photos.  H and I kept telling A to goes closer to the blow hole.  However, when it was my turn, I thought I was close but I was not.  HAHAHAHA they were both laughing at me to go closer to the blow hole.
I AM THE QUEEN OF THE WORLD!!!
OMG geeez I went very close so close that I was behind it. I wish one of us had a tall spurt of water.  We saw a few tall spurts that reached about 25ft but taken with our cameras. We spent most of time taking photos of us while hiking up back to the car HAHAHAHA.

Shorty thereafter, we all realized the time was 3pm. that was the only time of the day that I remembered the time.  We also had to be at Lahaina by 5:45pm for the luau. We did not stop at any scenic routes or beaches until we saw the blow hole.  We wanted to go to one of the beaches that Liz suggested. We drove to Kapalua to swim at Kapalua Bay. There was plenty of time to swim and relax before driving to Lahaina.
BLOW HOLE

The girls went swimming while I took photos of them and the beach. There were not much people at the beach. I brought my snorkel gear though. There were a few people snorkeling too. DAMN I wish girls snorkeled before the BIG DAY ON WEDNESDAY when we go to Molokini Island. The beach had wonderful fishes to look at. Hopefully on a sunny day, we plan to come here next time.  We all took more photos at the beach.  Since I could not swim with a one week tattoo, I took a bunch of model photos of the girls. We hung out there until it was time to get ready to go to the luau in Lahaina. It was plenty of time at the beach.  I took a hose to H and hosed her down HAHAHA. Reminds me that Paris Hilton Carl's JR commerical when she was washing a car. A has that on video. We all changed and got ready at the public beach bathroom.
MY FAVE
NO HAIR DRYER, NO FLAT IRON, and NO COUNTER SPACE!!!! 3 GIRLS and 3 bathroom stalls!!!!

IT'S LUAU TIME!!!!!

Nakalele blowhole

The drive from Kapalua, around Nakalele Point and on to Wailuku is extraordinary. Nakalele Blowhole is the result of the ocean wearing away the shore below the lava shelf. With each wave, water is forced through a hole in the lava shelf resulting in the "eruption" of water similar to a geyser.

The "blowing" of the water varies dramatically depending on tide levels and wave action. High tide and strong surf result in the best effects.
THE "3"
The blowhole can be seen from the road when the wave action is right or you can hike down to the area - just don't get too close!

Directions:

Follow Highway 30 (Honoapi'ilani Highway) north from Kapalua. The Acid War Zone trail is near Mile Marker #38 where a gravel parking lot is located. A dirt, jeep road begins the trail which takes approximately 30 minutes to hike. The second trail to the blowhole is located ½ mile past Mile Marker #38 and is marked by a dirt pullout along the side of the road. From this area you can usually see the blowhole without doing the hike.

Useful Information:

* The blowhole, point and light beacon can easily be seen from the trailhead without taking the hike.

* Use extreme caution when walking these trails as they are rocky and descend steeply toward the ocean.
MY FAVE PHOTO
Wear sturdy shoes, a hat and use sunscreen. Always bring drinking water, do not hike alone, and tell others about your hiking itenerary.

* Be extremely careful around the blowhole as the waves and resulting eruptions are unpredictable and are deadly dangerous.

* Never sit on, touch or get close to the blowhole or erupting water.

* Monitor the ocean conditions conditions continuously as rouge waves may endanger you as the trail nears the water.

Nakalele Point is the most northern point Maui. It is located just past mile marker 38. You can't miss the parking area since there is usually a lunch truck parked here. Scattered across the field are numerous "cairns" or rocks piled by visitors along with natural rock formations.

The primary attraction here is the famous Nakalele Blowhole, located about 1200 foot along a clearly defined path.
MY FAVE PHOTO OF US 3
If the surf is heavy, or it's high tide you'll actually see the geyser effect long before you reach the blowhole. Nakalele Point itself is marked by a light beacon which you'll pass. You'll also walk past numerous tidepools along the shore and beautiful lava rock formations.

The blowhole is created when the pounding surf undercuts and wears away a shoreline lava shelf. A hole in the lava shelf causes a geyser-like effect which can reach over 100 feet when air and water are forced upwards through the hole.

While it may seen tempting to approach the blowhole for a great photo opportunity, don't do it. People have been killed as they get sucked back into the hole by the retreating water at this and other blowholes in Hawaii.

A second viewing area is less than 1/2 mile past Mile Marker #40.
KAPALUA BAY
This is a smaller pullout and you are only a few feet from the overlook. The third overlook is a littler farther down the road where there is a larger pullout. Walk about 100 feet to this overlook. From these overlooks you'll also get a great view of Kahakuloa Head to the east.

1. West Maui's Rugged North Shore - Mokuleia Bay and Slaughterhouse Beach

2. Honolua Bay

3. Lipoa Point

4. Punalau Beach (Windmill Beach)

5. Honokohau's Boulder Beach

6. Nakalele Point and Blowhole

7. Village of Kahakuloa

8. Kaukini Gallery and Kahakuloa Head (Puu Koae)

9. Seabird Sanctuary and Turnbull Studio and Sculpture Garden

H ROCK STACKING
"H" ROCK STACKING
ME FINISHING
ME FINISHING
WHERE IS HS? ROCK STACK???
WHERE IS "H'S"? ROCK STACK???
COOL ROCKS
CLEANING MY TAT
CLEANING MY TAT
Kapalua Sights & Attractions review
HARD TO FIND BUT WORTH IT
The girls and i had a hard time finding this. we had a bit of an adventure. however, it's hawaii we should not better not to find signs where natural … read entire review
Kapalua