MOLOKINI CRATER AND TURTLE TOWN SNORKELING

Kihei Travel Blog

THE BEST PIC!!! HAHAHAHA

DAY 3: SNORKELING DAY!!!! (UNDERWATER PHOTOS *UPLOADED 10/4/2008*)

HERE ARE THE HIGHLIGHTS OF OUR DAY AND NIGHT

I opened the the door and said “GOOD MORNING MAUI”.

The girls went snorkeling at Molokini crater and went to turtle town to swim with the turtles, which is the Kai Anela

I paid half price to only ride on the boat with them.

We went to Maui dive shop to get the girls’ gear.  The girls were being silly with the masks and fins.
HAHAHAHA

I went to get my camera In the car, when I returned to the store, there were 2 roosters crossed my path.  I said to myself, “ONLY IN MAUI.”

I helped the girls carry their snorkel gear, I am now the snorkel gear bitch.

“H” took photos of the roosters and she said “ROCKING WITH MY COCK OUT.”

When we arrived to the boat landing, we took more photos of each other.

Our captain, Garth and his matey, Mike of the Kai Anela made the trip entertaining.

“A” kept on recanting the phone call she had with her eldest daughter (5 years old), “WHAT YOU LEFT YOUR BABIES, COME HOME RIGHT NOW!!!!” with such anger and cute in the same time.

Mike was handling out juices to everybody and forgot about us 3.

Mike was very fascinated with us, that he picked on us the whole trip.
ROCK WITH MY COCK OUT!!!

We had a wonderful boat ride to Molokini Island.

I helped the girls gear up.

I stayed on the boat while the girls snorketed, I asked A to take photos of long nosed butterfly and orange tipped tang.

Mike and Garth was teasing me that I am staying on the boat.

Mike went snorkeling with the others.  He asked who’s first time snorkeling, A and I pointed at H.

I took photos of the girls snorkeling from above and I saw were there bums.

Garth and I chatted while all the others were snorkeling.

Garth is from Rhode Island, he left because of the New England weather. He has lived in Maui for 5 years.  I thought he was from Boston, with his strong accent.

We were out in Molokini Island for about an hour.

The girls had a good time snorkeling. They said they saw plenty of fishes and an eel.
THE BAG BITCH

“A” and I both had a saltwater and invertebrate tank. We both said we missed it.

Garth was amazed on all the saltwater tank experience I knew.

“H” got a bit sea sick, however she fell better when we went to turtle town.

“H” joined up with Mike and the others to go snorkeling.

While at turtle town, on the boat, Garth and I saw one turtle surfacing on the water to breath.  It was a huge one too.

I was excited for A that she will be swimming with her sea turtles. One of her dreams.

“A” asked me where is “H”?, I told “A” that she with Mike way over there.  “A” swam towards her direction.

“A” likes it better with fins.

We were there for about an hour.

“A” said that she saw about 4 turtles.

Mike got a small octopus around his arm when I saw him come towards the boat.
KIHEI BOAT LAUNCH

“H” was feeling sick and hung out near the ladder.

Mike freaked out H with the octopus wrapped around his arm.

Mike was trying to put the octopus on H’s arm. I got the money shot on that.

The octopus was getting agitated that it was releasing ink to defend itself.

“A” said Mike is an awesome guide; he would show “A” sea urchins and touches them.

It was classic to see the girls’ face when they went snorkeling and saw fishes and turtles.

Garth allowed Rain to steer the boat, by the way she is 10.

Mike was telling me, “who cares about my tat and just swim anyway.”  He wanted to throw me in the water.

Garth took us to Wailea and Makena which is the south part of the Maui, he showed us BIG BEACH and LITTLE BEACH.
US :)

BIG BEACH is one of most popular beach on the south side.  The girls and I plan to swim there some time in the week.

LITTLE BEACH is the secluded part of the side, mainly it is a nude beach. I did see some people off the distance who are nude. You can tell by the dark spots on certain areas.

“H” pointed out she stayed at the maui prince 3 years ago.

While the boat trip, Garth was sharing with us his favorite places to eat in Kihei. He suggested pizza madness, fred’s and café o’lei.

“A” had to back at 3pm to be at a owners meeting.

“A” and I went to have JAWZ again and this time I ordered the mahi mahi burrito and “A” ordered the ono burrito. We both inhaled it.

“A” and I got  soup for “H” at grand panda express for her stomach.

I was “H’s nurse, she was feeling better after the soup.
US :)
I made her tea and for me.

“H” and I chatted for a bit then she passed out then I planned to take a shower and I ended up passing out on the bed with the TV on.

I passed out for about 2hr, then I hear “A” knocking on the door. She was muttering under her voice that she spent too much on more “add ons” to her timeshare.

“A” explained to us all evening what happened at her “owners” meeting.

We all just ended up just hanging out at the room and watched TV and looking at our photos of the trip so far.

We all plan to sleep early for our HELICOPER/ROAD TO HANA  trip……eeeeek 5:30am

I HAVE MORE MEMORIES. I WILL BE ADDED IN THE COMING DAYS……….

HISTORY OF MOLOKINI CRATER

Twelve miles offshore from Lahaina Town sits a once commanding volcano now extinct and submerged in the ocean.
CHEESE!!!
Molokini Crater is located off southwest Maui with the majority of the structure immersed, making it one of the best Maui snorkeling and diving spots around and one of the top things to do in Maui. It extends all the way up from the bottom of the ocean floor, and has gradually eroded along one side over time which has filled the volcano with sea water and created a distinct half moon shape. The crescent rises more than 150 feet above the ocean’s surface creating the impressive mark of Molokini.

For thousands of years Molokini has been inactive which has created opportunity for further exploration of the majestic giant. With the volcano walls almost 80 feet deep and the outside walls extending to 350 feet, a natural shelter is created by the Molokini Crater, adding another advantage to underwater explorations in and around it.
MIKE WITH THE OCTOPUS
Situated between Kahoolawe and Maui, Molokini Island, as its also known, is considered part of Maalaea Bay and is designated as a Marine and Bird Conservation District. Both Molokini dive trips, snorkel and kayak trips are the most popular ways to explore Molokini Crater. Each type of adventure can easily be arranged through Maui tours around the island.

A Molokini dive trip is a truly exciting journey where every inch of the islet can be examined. Reef sharks, turtles, manta rays and other marine life will surround you as you analyze the makeup of Molokini Crater and it’s rough surface texture, fed on by a myriad of fish and other creatures. Another advantage of a Molokini dive is the clear water which offers some of the best visibility and showcases the natural wonders that are highlighted at the Maui Ocean Center. Unfortunately due to extensive visitation Molokini Island has suffered the consequences and has sustained damage from boat anchors carving out large areas of coral.
SWIM WITH THE FISHES
Though this Maui attractions underwater conditions are beautiful, they are often replete with a wealth of people on a Molokini snorkel trip or diving excursion.

Some people opt to kayak rather than take a Molokini snorkel trip or dive tour. Though Molokini looks close to Maui beaches along the shoreline, it can be a very tough go. It’s not a viable option for those who aren’t experienced kayakers with a certain level of fitness. Kayaking to Molokini is not a languid journey, rather a very strenuous one with many strong ocean currents and forceful winds to contend with. Kayaking can be arranged when tradewinds are not prominent and an experienced guide is with kayakers through every stroke on route to Molokini Island.

The floor of Molokini is blanketed by brilliant formations of coral and a host of marine life accustomed to the amount of action created by tourists.
MOLOKINI
The only significant danger for those on a Molokini snorkel trip or diving tour are the forceful currents that flow underneath the submerged part of the crater wall and should be avoided. The best time to head out to Molokini is in the summer months and in the morning as the afternoon can get fairly windy. Most tours provide breakfast on the way in and lunch after the snorkel as the day is long with trips running five to six hours in duration. Most tours leave from Ma'alea Harbor and can be arranged throughout the island.

There are many small charter boats that take people to see the crater from above making the area quite crowded. There are plenty of magnificent places to snorkel around the coast of Maui, such as Kaanapali Beach near Black Rock, and many dive sites that are not swarming with people. If you dislike crowds or think they would take away from your experience explore some of the other options for snorkeling and dive trips.
RAIN STEERS THE BOAT, SHE IS 10!!!
If you don’t mind the crowds, the pay off of seeing this commanding underwater volcano is great. It’s very original and rare. There are not many dive sites where you can explore such a gem. Often the crater is called the fishbowl, the abundant and rich marine life coupled with fantastic visibility makes a trip to the Molokini Crater a dazzling adventure.

mellemel8 says:
AWWW thanks marit i try :)
Posted on: Oct 10, 2008
tvillingmarit says:
You really know how to enjoy life Mel.
Posted on: Oct 06, 2008
HAHAHAHA :P
HAHAHAHA :P
Kihei Sights & Attractions review
REASONABLE SNORKELING DEALS
i would recommend this company. they would have "buy one get on free" specials. the staff is helpful and knowledgeable. garth and mike were very funny… read entire review
Kihei