HELICOPTER RIDE OVER MAUI

Kahului Travel Blog

WE ARE PSYCHED!!!!

This is going to be a long day. We booked a helicopter ride over Maui and afterwards, a shuttle van to drive us to Hana. The famous “ROAD TO HANA”.   We should be home by 6pm. We woke up at 5am to be drive to the heliport by 7am. I am looking forward to this day!!!!

THE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DAY:

We booked it with SUNSHINE HELICOPTERS and did the HANA GOLD COMBO package.

“A” and I both in front of the helicopter and “H” is behind me.

Our helicopter pilot, Steve use to fly air tours in Alaska.  He has lived in Maui for 4 years.

I gave H a barf bag when I discovered it near me.
US :)

Steve has pointed out that there is a small camera inside the chopper.

There was a newlywed with us. They just got married 2 days ago.

We flew over Kihei and Steve pointed out the sugar cane all over the island.

We flew over the south beaches

We flew over the Haleakala National Park and the crater.

Steve explained to us about the crater.

We flew over Hana and the seven pools.

We flew through a rain cloud and saw a many rainbows.

I took many photos of the rainbows and beach coast.

We flew over many waterfalls.

Steve explained about Hana, that there are many small towns that only the locals knows about it.

Steve mentioned he enjoys going to “BIG BEACH” to hang after work.

“A” and I took photos of our feet.

“H” was quiet and I know  why

“A” and I were talking to Steve about facts about the Maui.

I did the “happy dance” in the chopper.

I was kinda getting dizzy and a headache and If I was feeling that way.
:P
then I know “H” was feeling sick.

The ride was about 2hrs long.

I HAVE MORE MEMORIES. I WILL ADD MORE LATER AS I REMEMBER. WOOHOO OFF THE SHUTTLE FOR THE “ROAD TO HANA” TOUR.

Maui: Essential Facts

Learn these Maui factoids and you will know more than most on your dream Hawaii vacation:

1. Maui is known as the "Valley Isle," and is the second largest of the major Hawaiian Islands (a distant second in size to the Big Island).

2. Maui is approximately 48 miles (76.8km) long and 26 miles (41.6km) wide, totaling 728 square miles.

3. The famous Banyon Tree in Lahaina is 130 years old and shades almost two thirds of an acre.
SOUTH COAST OF THE MAUI

4. The largest of Maui's two volcanoes, Mt. Haleakala (House of the Sun), is 10,000 feet high and may have last erupted in the late 1700's (anecdotal evidence) or the late 1400's (scientific carbon dating).

5. The average winter temperature on Maui is 71 degrees; in summer, 78 degrees. The average ocean temperature is 78 degrees (all Farenheit).

6. Mt. Haleakala at 10,000 feet had a record low temperature of 11 degrees Farenheit in 1961.

7. Maui County includes the islands of Lanai, Molokai, and Kahoolawe.

8. Maui has a population of about 140,000 people.

9. Maui has 30 miles of white, red, and black sand beaches, and has more miles of accessible beach than any of the other Hawaiian Islands.

10. The rare, endemic Haleakala silversword is a distinctive, globe-shaped rosette plant with rigid (swordlike), succulent leaves densely covered by silver hairs.
SUGAR CANE
It flowers once (between June and September) and then dies.

11. Maui is about a half an hour by air from Honolulu.

12. The breathtakingly beautiful "Road to Hana" drive is 45 miles long, has 54 one-lane bridges and 600 hairpin turns.

13. Hawaii Standard Time is in effect year-round. There is no daylight savings time. Hawaii is 2 hours behind Pacific Standard Time and 5 hours behind Eastern Standard Time. When daylight savings time is in effect on the mainland, Hawaii is 3 hours behind the West Coast and 6 hours behind the East Coast.

Facts About the Island of Maui

General information, statistics, and facts about the island of Maui in Hawaii.

Size:

Maui is the second largest of the Hawaiian Islands with a land area of 729 square miles.
STEVE
It is 48 miles long and 26 miles across at its widest point.

Population:

117,644. Ethnic mix: 36% Caucasian, 23% Japanese, followed by Hawaiian, Chinese and Filipino.

# Biggest Towns: 1. Kahului

75-85 degrees Fahrenheit.

Miles of Shoreline:

120 linear miles.

Number of Beaches:

81 accessible beaches. 39 have public facilities. Sands may be white, gold, black, salt and pepper, green or garnet, due to ancient volcanic activity.

Principal Resort Areas:

In West Maui the principal resort areas are Ka’anapali and Kapalua; South Maui’s prime resorts are Makena and Wailea.
Hana, Kihei, Ma’alaea, Napili, Honokowai and Upcountry are also visitor destinations.

Highest Peak:

Haleakala Volcano (dormant), 10,023 feet. The summit depression is 21 miles across, and 4,000 feet deep, large enough to hold the island of Manhattan.

Number of Hotels:

Approximately 61, with 10,664 rooms.

Number of Vacation Condominiums:

Approximately 103, with 7,343 units.

Number of Bed And Breakfast Inns:

Number of Visitors Annually:

Approximately 2.2 million visitors visit Maui each year.

Number of Whales Annually:

Approximately 3,000 whales winter in Maui waters. There are only 7,000-8000 humpback whales surviving today. An adult whale is 45 feet long and weighs 40 tons. Baby whales born in Maui waters weigh a mere 2,000 pounds.

Most Popular Visitor Attractions:

The attractions and places consistently drawing the most visitors are Haleakala National Park, Lahaina Town, ‘Iao Valley State Park, Hana and the Maui Ocean Center.

Parks:

There are 10 state parks, 94 county parks and community centers and one national park, Haleakala National Park.

Golf Courses:

Maui has sixteen golf courses.

Airports: The main airport is in Kahului at the center of Maui. There is also a smaller airport in Kapalua (West Maui), and a commuter airport in Hana. All major airlines offer direct service from the U.S. and Canada to Maui.

Maui Superlatives

* Maui has been voted "Best Island in the World" by the readers of Condé Nast Traveler magazine for ten consecutive years and "World’s Best Island" by the readers of Travel + Leisure magazine for five years.

* Maui has more miles of swimmable beach than any other Hawaiian island.

* Maui has the largest dormant volcano in the world, Haleakala.

* Maui has the second highest waterfall in the United States.

* Maui had the lowest temperature ever recorded in the Hawaiian Islands, 11 degrees in 1961, atop Haleakala.

ME AND A FEET
LANDING SOON
LANDING SOON
Kahului Sights & Attractions review
BIRD'S EYE VIEW OF MAUI
The girls and i took the "hana gold" combo. which is a 50min. helicopter ride and afterward a "road to hana" van tour. In the air, helicopter next… read entire review
Kahului