Cuernavaca - Land of Eternal Springs

Cuernavaca Travel Blog

Catedral de Cuernavaca

Even the Mexicans are perhaps surprised at the abundance of flowers and bloom in this part, and hence the name for the town. I of course had no idea about this town, I just went on a blind booking spree with Grayline travels and this was part of the deal to Taxco which everyone said I should visit.

I woke up on Thurs morning, didn't sleep too well for some reason and it was bloody hot in Mex City. The tour guide picked me up at 9a after I had a terrible breakfast, and with me in the car were 2 very charming Aussie girls, 1 of them works for Emirates so it was very interesting listening to her perspective on life in Dubai and with the company. Anyway this car took us to another "central" hotel where we all broke up into different minivans for our respective day trips.

Catedral de Cuernavaca

The drive was quite interesting. Mexico really seems like a very interesting combination of things and I can almost hit myself again and again for not having visited this place more often in the last few years I was in Texas. I mean, it's SO bloody close!! The drive was for the most part, quite uneventful - all I could see was India everywhere - the heat, the aridity, the expanse, the people, the dust.... and yet it had its own charm amidst all this "plain"ness. You could see that it was deep rooted in history. Infact, I must say I was expecting to find this place more Americanised than it really is. One thing I'll tell you, the Spanish, or Mexicans sure seem very proud of their culture and it seems to get stronger every year, and not melt into the English/Americanised culture that so many other countries inc.

India are slipping into.

Random thoughts... geez... I do think a lot! So as I was thinking all this stuff and listening to 80s Wham and Duran Duran on my iPod, we had actually arrived at our first stop - the Land of Eternal Springs! Cuernavaca is known these days for its posh spas and guest houses. It has a very "villa" feel this city I felt. There's actually a LOT to do here, you could easily spend a couple of days but sadly we just had a couple of hours.

So the ONLY stop we made was the main attraction of the town - the Catedral de Cuernavaca. This Church is also known as Catedral de Asuncion de Maria, and was one of the landmark churches built a few years after Mexico City (or  Tenochtitlan as it was called those days) was seized from the Aztecs.

Catedral de Cuernavaca
This church was built as a fortress for protection of people of this town, and as you want into the precincts, you notice lots of statues and rocks placed in memory of men who lost their lives during the construction.

But the highlight, or should I say interesting lowlight is the interiors of the Church. Most pictures I'd seen of churches in Mexico (Spanish style) were colourful, and bright and charming and inviting. This on the other hand is dark - and very dingy for something that was extensively modernised about 40 years ago. But again,  all of it is very interesting. Take the frescoes for example: they also date from the 15th Century and have a very Asian feel to them. The guide showed us a picture story of St.Felipe de Jesus and his Japanese companions who were killed, and how they achieved martyrdom. The only complaint I had about this was that we got very little time to look around. Infact I believe a lot of us spent most of our time finding the loo!

We got back on the minivan around noon and after driving past the centre Gardens, we were out of Cuernavaca and to our next destination - a town synonymous to silver and cobbled streets.

sarahsan says:
I´m sorry you did not get more time to explore Cuernavaca. It´s a wonderful city which has so much to offer. I lived there for a year and a half. It was the best time I´ve had living abroad. Hopefully you´ll get a chance to visit it again!
Posted on: Jun 13, 2010
Catedral de Cuernavaca
Paintings inside Catedral de Cuern…
Paintings inside Catedral de Cuer…
Cuernavaca