Acapulco Tips and Reviews

Acapulco Travel Blog

If it is your first trip to the Acapulco area here are some tips to help you be prepared.  One of the "treats" when flying into Acapulco was that the planes actually do a loop around the main bay areas to allow passangers on both sides of the plane to take their own photos of the area. The airport was like taking a trip back in time. The airplanes are parked out in the middle of the airfield and you are escorted by guards to the airport customs area. Be prepared to go walk up and down steps of plane. There were several people on our flight with heavier carry-ons or small children that had some difficulty and required assistance from other passangers.  Customs was not the horror that I had expected. From plane to cab approximately 20 minutes. Once past customs we picked up our luggage, put luggage on conveyor screening belt and then made three steps forward to press the button to see if we were the lucky passanger to get searched. (you literally press a button if the light is green you go on to the taxi area if red you get searched). We had pre-booked a taxi service from Viator. I highly recommend their service. It was $30 round trip. The driver was waiting with our names on a sign. Our group flew in on different days and everyone noticed the "no sleeze factor" with the drivers.  The Drivers were informative without selling products. Once at the Hotel the Avaitor rep gave us the side trip run down of things to do. I stayed at the Acapulco Princess resort. The hotel was excellent, staff incredible, beautiful views. Definately get your President's club care online at the resort website before you go. The President's club perks were great. I got center ocean front room on 19th floor with "REAL" smaller size refrigerator, fruit plate, cards, additional maid service, free internet.  Most all the rooms have a standard small refrig but it is more like a cooler and doesn't keep drinks cool much less cold. The Princess WILL NOT allow outside food and drink into the hotel. Our remedy was going across street to Walmart buying food/drink then transporting back to hotel in a large duffle bag or small carry on.  As long as you buy the same brands the hotel sells there is usually no problem. We did the same at the pool. We would buy our first drink then keep refilling with our own stock.  I was not able to make long distance calls from my cell without paying large fee to cell company. I was however able to send and receive text messages as well as receive incoming calls all within my normal cell plan. There were several excellent restaurants Zibu was our favorite with Chula Vista a close second. Both restaurants are more toward the expensive side but the quality of food was excellent.  I would recommend that if sightseeing is not your main excitement that you could have the tour of the city in the morning, mexican fiesta and diving show at night. The mexican fiesta show is held in the restaurant above the La Perla noted for the cliff diving view.  OH, most important,  it is HOT in Acapulco, Muggy and you will be drenched in sweat if you visit during the summer months. Forget the hairspray and curlers they are useless against the humidity.