coincidence?

London Travel Blog

coorg region india

IN 1974 i hitchiked to india from London after a long, exciting but tiring 6 weeks i arrived in pakistan. I stayed in peshawar for 8 weeks, making frequent trips up into the swat valley.  At last i left pakistan and made my way to India.  A mixture  of magic buses and ad hoc lifts took me to Goa.  After a week or so i started feeling unwell, i couldn,t breath properly, my chest hurt and i had a fever.  I had next to no money and no insurance.  I found myself at the local TB hospital just outside panjim where an x ray showed "something".   The wonderfull doctor admitted me explaining i had an infection.  I knew i was in a TB hospital so feared the worst and was very scared.

my balcony goa
   I stayed for a month having 4 injections everyday, alternate arms and legs, i was like a bloody dart board.   They had cleared a store room for me so i had my own room.  Boiled egg for breakfast and fish curry for lunch and fruit and chai in the evening. Compared to how i had been eating and living it was like a health club (oh the folly of youth)  I was discharged,  thanked everybody and made my way to Bombay to try to get repatriated, which was easy, although it cost me £385 for the ticket (which i had to repay to get my passport back)

Forward 30 years, almost exactly to the week.  I am in Panjim Goa and i decided to go back  to the hospital and see the staff.  I was remembered by only one nurse, who by now was assistant matron, all the doctors from that time had retired or died.  It was very emotional,  i looked in my old room, and the memories flooded back, i  had a chai with the chief doctor, and thanked the matron,  donated a large box of oranges to the patients and   went back to my hotel to plan my next move, which was going to be kerala.  After a day or two i started getting chest pains and fever, yes i had it again.  Being older and wiser i had insurance so off i went to the virundan hospital Mapusa, this time it took only  a week.  But was it coincidence?  I have since been back to India 8 times but no problems.  mmm

sylviandavid says:
Really nice blog .... wow a month in the hospital. You must have been really, really sick. In china the friends/relatives have to bring food ... so you must have been treated very specially. enjoyed reading this.
Posted on: Oct 05, 2014
wanda-nkz says:
Judging by the picture, you look fantastic.
Posted on: Oct 19, 2008