Trip South along the coast

Albany Travel Blog

Cheynes IV whale chaser is available to clamber over

Margaret loves to travel and we've often hit the road together when I'm staying at hers.  She and my Mother are pretty close and they regularly travel together on their overseas holidays.

With the party all done and dusted we were at a loose end for a few days.  Greg had taken his family to the East Coast so it was just the three of us until we were due to head to Bali in 5 days.  We put our heads together and decided we would drive along the Leeuwin Way which is a part of Western Australia Ma and I hadn't visited before.

We shared the driving between the three of us so we didn't become over tired and were each able to enjoy some time watching the world rush by.

From Bunbury we headed South through country I was familiar with.  Gum trees, small towns, and on either side of us some decent mountains -not really what you typically see in Australia.

Not made for 6'2" blokes like me!

We actually stayed away from the Coast, deciding to go through Nannup and Manjimup instead.  We'd done the wineries around Margaret River before, but that didn't mean this new road was void of grape vines, they were still a very common site until we reached the bottom of the country and turned East toward Albany.

We marked progress by numerous crossing of river bridges.

The area was brown due to lack of rain over the summer.  Sheep dotted huge paddocks where they would have been lucky to dine on anything other than dirt.  Aunty Margaret was disgusted by the lack of shade for the creatures.  The odd tree we did see along the fencelines cast a shadow filled with hot sheep.
All the handles made the guns move as they should
  I doubt they would have had much relief as any respite from the heat of the sun would have been replaced by body heat from the other sheep.

We arrived at Albany in time to find a nice motel and arrange some dinner.  Next day we explored the place.

Albany is one of the largest towns on the Leeuwin Way.  It also has plenty to see and do for tourists including beautiful white sandy beaches, historic buildings, and a lovely view of the area from the top of Mt Clarence.

We visited The Forts atop the mountain.  Very interesting collection of memorabilia from all the wars Australian troops have been involved in (see review).

It's a harbour town and is home to one of the last whaling stations in Australia (see review of things to do).

Cheynes IV whale chaser is availab…
Cheynes IV whale chaser is availa…
Not made for 62 blokes like me!
Not made for 6'2" blokes like me!
All the handles made the guns move…
All the handles made the guns mov…
Albany Sights & Attractions review
Historic Whaling Station
Having closed down it's Whaling operation in 1978, the Cheynes Beach Whaling Station was reopened as the tourist attraction "Whaleworld" in the 1980s.… read entire review
Albany Sights & Attractions review
Historical Colonial Fortress
After entering the grounds of "The Forts" the first items on display that caught my eye were the guns placed around the courtyard. There were alrea… read entire review
Albany