Easter with a friend

Sydney Travel Blog

Opera House and Harbour Bridge

Lisa lives in Sydney and I hadn't heard from her since we were "going around together" at high school back around 1983.  It was funny timing as far as us reconnecting because I'd just moved from Tokoroa to Te Puke and she'd gone through a bit of an upheaval at home too.  Now about a year later I was winging my way from Bali to Sydney where I would stay with her for about a week.

It was my intention to get up the coast to Brisbane where I was hoping to catch a few more friends that lived there but that never happened.  It was probably Easter weekend that skewed my plans, everything seemed a bit rushed when I took out the stoppages for the public holidays.

Lisa met me at the airport and we went back to her place.  I'd been up all night at the airport.  Ma and the others had flown back to Perth a couple of hours before my flight so I was left hanging in another transit lounge, but isn't that what travel is all about (ha!).

Through the day we chatted, getting to know each other again and trading gossip of those we remembered from school days - 20 years worth of gossip!

It was nice to see her again and although she had to work for a few of the days I was there, we were able to do a few interesting things, or I jumped the train and went into the city on my own to do what I wanted to do.

I had only been to Sydney once before and that was back when my family came over.  It was 1977, I was 10.

To show my appreciation of Lisa's hospitality I scored us a couple of tickets to Bob Geldof at the Enmore Theatre.  It was a great concert.

It was Lisa's first so she didn't know what to expect.  Not knowing the theatre at all I got seats a short hop back from the standing/dance area.  We could see everything as it was a pretty cosy sort of a concert.  I would have loved to be down in front of the stage rocking to Bob's great tunes but Lisa seemed pretty content where we were.  I hear about all her outings now.  There's always something on in Sydney and she makes me green with envy when she tells me of the next gig she's got tickets for.

Sydney