Flights at not-so-fun times

Te Puke Travel Blog

Still a LOT of work to do. If this party wasn't a "must attend" I would have stayed to get it all done.

My Mother's mother was the only one of the two Nanas I knew in my life.  They tell me I was out and about when my Father's mother was still alive but I don't remember her at all as the only thing I was into at that age was cramming stuff into my mouth and dribbling.

So, my Maternal Grandmother has hit the big Nine Zero and that's the kind of milestone that shouldn't pass without the appropriate hoopla, right!?
  My own ma hung with me at my place a couple of days before we had to fly out.
I was in the middle of renovating my house and at that crucial point where the roof was half on, or half off, depending on which way you viewed it.  What's worse is that there was a storm coming and my builder had been sidetracked for a few days.
  Obviously he had instructions on what to get done whilst i was away but I was doing most of the work myself and I didn't want to blow all my holiday money on trouble at home.
  I threw a few sheets over the framing and some tarps over the missing windows.  I screwed doors shut and made the place as tight as possible.  I expected to return in 4 1/2 weeks and find some sort of water problem but I'd done the best I could, the rest was out of my hands.

Ma and I hit the track to Auckland.  For some strange reason flights out of this country always seem to be climbing into the sky before the sun does!  My place is just over 2 hours from the Auckland International Airport so I always try to stay overnight in a nearby motel.  It's not too expensive and they allow you to leave your car there for free whilst you're away which is a huge saving compared to long term parking at the airport.

Ma and I shared a room and next morning we received a wake-up call and a ride to the terminal.  We're off!

goezi says:
Yeah, that's nice. I hope the walking sticks won't be needed at all -may slow you down a bit as you do your globe-trotting.
Posted on: Sep 13, 2008
shirlan says:
Good stuff. I never knew any of my grandparents. 5 years ago Andrew and I reached a combined age of 90, so we had a 90th birthday party! This month it is 100 but we haven't done anything about it. It was fun though, we got gifts like magnigying glasses and walking sticks, so now we are prepared. I guess it is lucky that we have our birthdays 10 days apart.
Posted on: Sep 13, 2008
Still a LOT of work to do.  If thi…
Still a LOT of work to do. If th…
Te Puke