The Journey Completes (26-28 Oct 06)

Yangon Travel Blog

After taking the whole of 26 Oct travelling back to Yangon and seeing all the Pagodas and Buddhas i can take for the week, I've decided to go to a small town across the Yangon river to see other things. I paid USD1 for a 20min ferry ride across the man-made carnal... the water is as chaotic as the street. You have big ships, ferries, small boats, fisherman's boat all trying to make their way across to the small town named Dalla. Interesting. From there, I hopped onto one of the trucks where I am the foreigner among the locals. Again, I neglected to ask the officer at the dock how far is the ride from Dalla to my destination, Twante. Sigh.

After spending 45 min sitting on the wooden plank behind the stuffy truck, I arrived at Twante.
I spent 45 mins on the back of this truck with the locals.
The minute i got down the truck, I know I'm in trouble. First of all, there is no information counter to tell you where to go. Although I'm wearing the longyi like the locals, I'm sure I stood out like sore thumb. I dash into the nearest lane next to my drop point and found myself in the market. The market is divided into many sections, fresh vegetables fresh poultry on the outside, dry food in the inside. I accidentally stumbled into the section where Burmese were doing sewing and tailoring while displaying their work for sale. I also came across several stalls making small jewelries at the market.

As I was leaving the market, I was approached by one of the many rickshaw drivers with an offer to take me to pottery place. Since I was already walking blindly in town, I agreed.
the market in Twante
I don't have a very good experience in this part of town. First of all, the rickshaw driver wasn't very clear on his charges. Then he brought along his friend, which I later found out that I was expected to pay for at the end of the trip. The driver/guide did not tell me that I was expected to pay when visiting the pottery farm, and I was caught off guard when they asked for "present" at the end of a 10 min look see tour. When the guide suggested another tour at a nearby pottery farm, I told him if I need to pay, I'm not going. After a confirmation from him, I went and ta-da, I have to give "present" again. But this time, I give willingly because i got a 15 min hands-on lesson in making pottery, (which I think it is something I would like to take up if I have the time.
Pottery farm
) At the end of the tour, I didn't spend a lot of money in terms of Malaysian ringgit, but I hate caught off guard the way I was. Thus this is definitely one of my worst experience in Myanmar. It does make you feel as if you are being ripped off.

Soon I was back in Yangon, where I walked around Sule Pagoda (didn't go in as I really don't want to look at another pagoda) and to Bogyoke Market (equivalent to our Central Market in KL). Walking back to the guest house, buying fried food
off the street sellers, I make a pit stop at one the busiest spot along Bogyoke Aung San Road. I attracted a fair bit of attention sitting near where a group of Burmese men were playing chest. I guess it must be "is she Burmese? Yes? No?" million dollars question that intrigue them or that I'm the only female that shows any interest in the game.
another pagoda
I was quite tempted to ask them whether I can play a game or 2 with them for the sake of it... but I was quite tired from all the walking earlier on and I just want to sit and rest.

Myanmar is not a place to go if you are to travel with the tour group. All you will see is Pagodas and Buddhas and you can only see so much. I was very lucky that I've met a lot of nice people that took care of me while I was there, especially on the day of my arrival. That kinda set the tone for the rest of the trip as it gave me more confidence travelling around. I may not remember much about the stories behind each of the pagodas and buddhas that I've seen, but I will definitely remember the people that I met and the experience I had with them.
I spent 45 mins on the back of thi…
I spent 45 mins on the back of th…
Food seller on the ferry