Yassou Santorini

Santorini Travel Blog

My favorite store in Mykonos!
In the morning, I did some last minute souvenir/window shopping around Mykonos.  I love the shops here!!! Mykonos has some really wonderful jewelry and clothing shops.  Just wandering around the winding streets and discovering the different stores was one of my favorite things I did in Mykonos.  I love shopping, so this was heaven to me!   My favorite one was called Benetia, located in Little Venice (16 Ag. Anargiron).  The owner, who was extremely nice, had some BEAUTIFUL embroidered pieces of clothing, all of which was white and just gorgeous!  The clothes were all just so very Greek, delicate, feminine, and beautiful.

We took a Hellenic Seaways catamaran from Mykonos to Santorini.
The catamaran we took from Mykonos to Santorini (about 2.5 hours)
  It took about 2.5 hours, the waters were a little rough.  We arrived in Santorini and took a taxi to the village of Fira, which is where we would be staying.  The drive up from the port was so winding and our driver was going so fast, I thought I was going to get sick!  We stayed at the Hotel Pelican, which we really liked!  Fantastic location (big plus that it was near both the bus station and taxi stand), friendly staff, and they did our 2 loads of laundry for just 8 euro.  Michelle was feeling tired, so I went out by myself that evening.   Oh and can I mention that there are so many stray dogs in Greece.  Just sleeping smack dab in the middle of the sidewalk/streets or just walking around by themselves or sometimes in packs.
Our room at the Hotel Pelican (great place to stay in Fira)
  And they are not small cute dogs.  They're usually big scary ones.  I read that Greece had a stray dog problem, but I was still surprised to see so many.

Oh, one more thing.

We turned on the television and it turns out that the Eurovision Song Contest was taking place.  We had always heard about it, but the USA doesn't get it (obviously).  We were immediately sucked in -- we couldn't help it!  :(

Basically Eurovision is this big song competition where all the European countries enter a song, and it's performed by a singer/group from their country.  Then the public votes for the song (for a country besides their own), and then the final winner is whatever country gets the most votes in the end.

We saw some really bad performances (surely some of these countries could find better performers?).
  I don't know if it was because we were in Greece or what, but our favorite performance was from Greece.  His name is Sarbel, and it was a super cheesy pop song called "Yassou Maria".  The whole performance was over-the-top cheese, including the dancing, so we couldn't help but love it!  That song got stuck in our minds for the whole rest of the trip, and we kept singing it, so it got our vote -- not that we could vote or anything.

Other memorable performances were the Ukraine (performed by a drag queen), the UK (they were dressed like flight attendants, complete with trolleys, luggage, and they danced with flags), and Serbia (I thought the singer was a man at first but it turned out to be a woman; the song was good even though we couldn't understand a word of it).  The Serbian eventually won the whole thing.

Okay that is all that I will say about Eurovision!
knowledgebee says:
Great blog! I can almost smell the sea and taste the wine from your great descriptions.
Posted on: Jan 20, 2010
hdichter says:
Eurovision is GREAT!!! Alas, this year's final wasn't as good, I thought. Some of the better stuff never makes it to the final. but such fun, no?
Posted on: Aug 30, 2007
My favorite store in Mykonos!
The catamaran we took from Mykonos…
The catamaran we took from Mykono…
Our room at the Hotel Pelican (gre…
Our room at the Hotel Pelican (gr…
photo by: wanderingluster