Robbed in Barcelona!!!!!

Barcelona Travel Blog

View from the train to Madrid

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh........my lord and taylor.  So we are still in Barcelona.  20 minutes before our overnight train to Madrid left...my sister´s bag was stolen from the train station.  It had her laptop, iPod, camera with all of her photos from the trip, some sentimental things, wallet, and most importantly, her passport!!  We are very conscious travelers but the literal 10 seconds I took my eyes off her bag...it was stolen!!!!

Michelle had went to ask the train official what platform our train was leaving.  She looked at me and said, "Watch my bag."  A few seconds later, someone asked me something in Spanish and then I said, "No hablo español" and in that few seconds of exchange, the bag was gone.

View from the train to Madrid
  I realized I had fallen for one of the oldest tricks in the book!  While someone distracted me, another person stole my bag.   I have never felt so sick or scared in my life.

Seeing my sister´s face when she realized what happened was probably the most heartbreaking thing I have seen in my life.  Seeing and hearing her sob like that is something that I will never forget.  I felt so awful, it was completely my fault.  She became hysterical  and we searched frantically around to see if the thieves were still around but no luck.    We were a total mess and a very nice maintenance worker rushed us to the police station but it was closed and then helped us with the Lost & Found.  We made a decision to stay in Barcelona so we could file the police report at the train station the next morning.

My gross dinner on the train
..the only bad thing was that it was 10pm and many of the hotels-hostals were booked.  We finally found one on Passeig de Gracia for 190€/night but we were so desperate that we took it.  It was a really nice swanky hotel called Hotel Condes de Barcelona and we had the most gorgeous view of La Pedrera.  We didn´t fully enjoy our room though because we were so stressed out.  I think  I got  about one hour of sleep the whole night.  I kept tossing and turning and worrying.

We went back to the train station early this morning, got our new train tickets to Madrid (where the ticket guy was totally amused with our español skills...he was trying so hard to hide his amused grin!) and filed a police report.

The police were very nice and helpful and then we were on our way to the U.S. consulate.   We were never so happy to see the American flag and a  photo of George W. Bush in our lives!!  There were SO many other Americans at the consulate whose passports were stolen...people just kept coming in....we were all trading our horror stories as we waited for our paperwork.   Everyone we have encountered in Barcelona has been so kind, the exception being the thieves of course.

We were able to process the paperwork for Michelle´s new temporary passport and we will be flying home to NYC on Monday night.

We travel a lot so I think we got a little too confident...we  definitely learned to be more careful of our surroundings, don´t leave our belongings unattended even for a second!!, and to keep our impt stuff in our money belts!!!  Even after this nightmare, we were ironically able to find humor in all of this.

I love watching football! (Soccer to us Yanks)
..what can you do now??  It happened and we can´t live with regret or thing "what if" or "if i had just..."  Life is too short.  It was hard to believe that last night after it all happened but we are keeping each other sane right now and are glad that we were not harmed physically or anything like that.  Almost everything in that bag can be replaced.  At least we were together and not hurt, and we were able to get Michelle´s passport, which are the most impt things.

So that was the drama from last night...I am fully exhausted and can´t wait to arrive in Madrid!!  Even after this bad experience, we still love Barcelona...I don´t think we´ll be traveling through Estacio Sants train station again though :)

annadean says:
Wow ~
amazing ~ thanks for shring the yuk stuff ~ as well as the good ~ keeps things fresh in ones mind~for when i travel~
One diaster for me was at the airport in Indonisia~ the Imigration made me put an open bag thru luggage when i got it ! was less my camera~ expensive pens~ and other stuff~ hm ~ anyhow good to see after the initial hurt you could have a sense of humour that always wins over :) take care regards Denise
koala says:
How terrible! What a horror! Those thieves are so well organized, it just takes them seconds and before you know it! I am very sorry for you and your sister. I hope you will be able to enjoy the rest of your journey! SAFE Journey!!
My friends laugh about it but when I am in busy places I always carry my backbag like a "frontbag" in front of me ......
lauro says:
hey.. i cant help but feel sorry :( my japanese friend and classmate went with her family in barcelona and they were robbed too in THE CENTRAL STATION :(

My gross dinner on the train
I love watching football! (Soccer …
I love watching football! (Soccer…
Barcelona