EuropeFranceNice

Nice is nice (sorry, I had to say that)

Nice Travel Blog

Going to Nice!!!
We woke up at the ungodly hour of 4:45am because our train was at 6:05am.  Luckily our room was right near the tunnel to the train station, so we could get there quickly.    Our train would take us to Genoa, where we would then have to transfer to a train to Nice.  We got to the train station and caught up with the Kiwi's we met a few days ago.

We slept most of the way and finally arrived in Nice around noon.  Michelle warned me, "Your first impression of Nice is not going to be good."  I had idyllic visions of Nice, and as we stepped out of the train station, I knew what she meant.  They were doing major construction on one of the main roads (for the tramway) so there was a lot of construction.   It just looked ugly.
   It took us forever to walk to our hotel (Michelle kept saying, "I swear it's on the next street" -- I stopped believing her after the 5th time she said it) but we finally made it to Hotel Windsor Nice.  This was the nicest (and most expensive!) place we were staying during our entire trip.   We walked around Old Nice and along the Promenade des Anglais.   Now, this was the Nice that I always pictured in my mind!!!   It was beautiful and the water was so blue!  Now I know why it's called Cote d'Azur.    I wanted to get socca from Thérèse, but we missed her by mere seconds :(   This was also my first experience seeing topless sunbathers, some were very...interesting to see.  There was one that everyone around us was laughing at because she was just so proud of her large body.  I love people watching, and the Promenade des Anglais is a great place to do it.

We met up with Kathy (who I knew from travbuddy), and we shared travel stories and ate dinner in Old Nice.   It was nice (ha) to meet a fellow traveler with similar experiences, and we made plans to meet up with her in Paris in a few days.

We decided to go to Cannes the following day -- where Michelle would be "discovered" ;)
The pebbly beach