Kalimera Athens!

Athens Travel Blog

We packed up our stuff and headed to Lucky's for one last souvlaki.  As we were eating, we noticed that one of the other customers had been at Sunset Taverna last night too.  Then as we walked to the taxi  station, we saw our waiter from last night!  It made me realize just how small this island was.  I love Santorini, but the big city girl in me was getting restless.

I guess I just don't understand how taxi stands work in the Cyclades (remember my experience in Mykonos as I tried to go to Paradise Beach), because at the taxi stand, it was basically a free for all again!

After we arrived in Athens, we took the metro from the airport to the city center.  This is also where our fun began.  We got lost, of course, because of the Greek alphabet and just because it is our nature to ALWAYS get lost everywhere we go!  We were staying in the Plaka district of Athens but our maps weren't very helpful and we ended up asking a policeman.  We couldn't speak Greek, he couldn't speak English, but he managed to point us in the right direction.  Between hauling our heavy backpacks, sweltering in the hot Greek sun, being exhausted from our travel day, and the fact that we had been together almost 24/7...Michelle and I were getting on each other's nerves!  Not the highest points of the trip.

After a lot of wandering around the Plaka, we miraculously found our hotel.  Of course, the elevator wasn't working and we were on the 4th floor!  We opened our door and it was the smallest hotel room that I've ever seen!  You opened the door and it hit the nightstand.  The double bed (we had to share one since there were no twin beds left) was pushed against the wall and there was hardly any room to walk.  After our huge rooms in Cairo, Mykonos, and Santorini, this was a shock!  But it was clean, safe, and cheap...so we couldn't really complain.

After doing some exploring, we headed over to Monastariki.  Michelle had heard some good things about a restaurant called Thanassis, so we decided to try it out.  I didn't really like the neighborhood but the souvlaki was very tasty.   We had some of the best food on our trip in Greece -- I'm definitely going to check out some of the Greek restaurants here in NYC when I'm craving Greek food!  I heard there are some fantastic Greek restaurants in Astoria, Queens, because of its large Greek population.  That's definitely on my summer must-do list!

Athens