Absinthe and fairies in Barcelona

Barcelona Travel Blog

Since the finicular to Tibidabo wasn't working last November, we decided to try to visit Tibidabo again.  You can take an FGC train from the Catalunya metro station to the Avingude de Tibidabo station, and then from there take a tram or bus to Plaça del Doctor Andreu.  Take the finicular up to the top of Tibidabo, for a spectacular view of Barcelona!  There is also a tiny amusement park (which was pretty empty) and there is also the Temple del Sagrat Cor.  It's two huge churches and on the very top is a giant statue of Christ with his arms held out to his sides.  The view of Barcelona was a bit hazy because it was humid that day, but it was still a gorgeous view, and we were even able to pick out La Sagrada Familia from where we were standing.

Tibidabo got its name from the devil!  Supposedly he took Christ to a very high place (like Tibidabo) and said to him in Latin, "Haec omnia tibi dabo si cadens adoraberis me", which translates into English, "All this I will give you if you fall down and worship me."  Don't know if that is true or not, but that's what Lonely Planet says and I tend to believe them :)

We decided to go to Plaça d'Espanya and walk up to the Museu Nacional D'art de Catalyuna, which had another great view of Barcelona and the Font Magica (Magic Fountains).  There was a huge bridal show/conference happening there the in a few days, so there was a lot of construction going on.  I must say that during our trip, we saw a lot of relaxed construction workers...particularly in Athens, Nice, and Barcelona.  A lot of them were either shirtless, or if they did have shirts on, they were unbuttoned.
  We saw many just sitting on the grass, taking naps underneath trees, or just hanging out in groups having a smoke.  This time, we saw a few with nothing but their pants on, sunbathing near the fountain.  It was quite the amusing sight!

We couldn't visit Barcelona without re-visiting our two favorite Barcelona sights -- La Sagrada Familia and Casa Batlló!  I am a huge fan of Antoni Gaudí...I think he was a genius.   His work just takes my breath away and often leaves me speechless and in awe.  If you can only see ONE thing in Barcelona...then go see his greatest work, La Sagrada Familia!  How can you visit Barcelona and NOT see this?!  Some people hate it, some people love it.
..I loved it.  Give it a chance and see for yourself!  It's the most visited monument in Spain, so it's often crowded (going down the stairs almost gave me vertigo) and the lines are long, but it is completely worth it.   My personal favorite is
Casa Batlló (House of Bones)...it's just as gorgeous inside as it is outside.  The rooftop is something that never fails to amaze me.  And last but not least -- Park Güell is another Gaudí masterpiece that you should try to see in Barcelona.  Amazing!!

We then headed to the
Barri Gòtic (Gothic Quarter) to do some souvenir shopping, and then we walked to Barceloneta (to visit the beach) and then all the way back up to La Rambla.  We were so tired by this point!!  We had time to kill before dinner at Els Quatre Gats that night, so decided to get some absinthe.  That stuff is so NASTY!!  We kept drinking it though.  No, we did not see Kylie Minogue the absinthe fairy doing the can-can, like in Moulin Rouge, but we were sure were feeling reallllllly good!!!  I'm surprised that we didn't see any can-dan dancing fairies!  It definitely had some bad effects on Michelle and me, because we got in a huge fight later that night.  Let me tell you, that was FUN TIMES!

photo by: fivepointpalm