Westminster/Risotto/Sondheim w/Josh

London Travel Blog

The courtyard in the center (or centre) of Westminster Abbey
    This morning I had to turn in my final papers for my classes-- packaged with quite a sense of accomplishment. What a relief to finally be done with my last round of papers. It was so much more stressful than writing papers back at UCI because back at home they’re not all usually due on the same day, and they’re usually not the weight of my entire grade. I didn’t know how long this was going to take, and there was a certain time I had to wait to go in to do this, so I thought it would be best to have Josh go explore the city, and then meet me later. This was tricky as he had no phone (I wonder how we ever survived making plans without cell phones), but after he went to some sort of war museum, I tubed it down to Westminster to meet him at the Abbey. I can’t believe I’ve lived in London since September and still hadn’t been to Westminster Abbey.
Stained glass/courtyard

Westminster Abbey was pretty crazy. It was hard to wrap my mind around the amount of royals buried there from aaaaaaaages ago. They have a set route that you have to walk through in order to control the foot traffic. It was hard to read things because a lot of the inscriptions were in Latin. Walking through there is like walking through a British history book. I don’t know a lot about history. That’s too bad. I bet it’s soooooo haunted. I couldn’t take any pictures in there, though, which was sad. I tried to take a few of the courtyard inside.
    Afterwards we walked around outside for a while. I had received some rather disturbing news from the dorms, so I needed some time to calm down. Josh tried to impart some wisdom on me that he had garnered from his bus tour with Nikki and Megan about the statues between Westminster Abbey and Trafalgar Square.
A different courtyard

We wandered around for a long time being wishy-washy about where we should eat dinner, as per usual. It’s funny how few good restaurants I know in this city. I guess that’s a tip to what kind of a budget I’ve been living on. We ended up getting risotto at Zitti, which Nikki and I had been to in Notting Hill. The location on the Strand is bigger. Lots of people had written on the wooden wall on the way in. That’s probably because it takes forever to get seated. Oh well. It’s a busy city. We were both famished after not eating real lunch. Whatever we both got was delicious. My risotto had asparagus in it. SO GOOD.
    Instead of going to a friend’s party, Josh and I (after many equally wishy-washy moments at Leicester Square ticket offices) bought last minute tickets to Side by Side by Sondheim, which is a published Sondheim revue.
What?
It was one of the only things that wasn’t sold out that I thought might be acceptable. It was in a cabaret-esque theatre behind the big movie theatre in Leicester Square. We got to sit pretty close since we went and got day seats straight from the box office. I like that so much better than buying them from TKTS.
    The show was alright. There were hardly any people there... mostly old people, which wasn’t a surprise. There were only a couple performers. They were all extremely talented. The songs were approached very thoughtfully, and the actors were very connected. Seeing this show made me feel very inspired because I feel like my fellow students at UCI and I could definitely perform work of this caliber.
    Afterwards, straight to the Leicester Square tube around the corner, a quasi-doze on the way home, and on to bed. Another full day awaits...
The courtyard in the center (or ce…
The courtyard in the center (or c…
A small piece of the grand exterior