Closer/Patrick Marber

London Travel Blog

I feel like I live in the editing room. I have been editing forever for our piece for tv class. ACK.

In the evening, after I got out of my solo performance class, Daniel and I went to go see Patrick Marber, who wrote Closer (which was a great English play before it was made into an American film), speak at the National Theatre. I’d come upon it on accident in one of the advertisising booklets when I’d gone to see The Rose Tattoo with Nikki, and saw that it only cost a few pounds, so I got some of the last tickets available. We had to race over there (stupid tube), but we managed to make it just in time. The theatre it was in was really small, so out seats were great. He and this drama theorist named (or “called” if you’re British) David Rosenthal, who had written a preface for the new version of the play were both there talking about the play and answering questions. It was really awesome. I get so excited about that stuff... it’s cool to feel like maybe you’re on the same level as people like that since you’re working in the same field. When they were done, they did a book signing, so, of course, I got the copy of the play that I’d just bought in the big theatre bookshop downstairs and had it signed. I got all stupid and embarassed and didn’t know what to say, as usual.

Afterwards we talked about theatre and acting and finding work and going to school for a really long time, sitting on the wall retaining the Thames. Seeing people like Patrick Marber talk gives me hope, because his plays connect well with a modern audience. People need to write more good plays. It’s a very difficult career path that we’re choosing. Sometimes I wonder why I’m not more afraid.
London